Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Show named fields in cell

Hi,
I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the fieldnames are
indeed correct, I would like to have the names of the field displayed
in the cell, instead of the cell contents. Is that possible?

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a list with
fieldnames and cell-references (like the list which is produced by
pasting the namelist) and feed this to Excel in order to define the
named fields.

Thanks

Insomniux

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly:

I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the fieldnames are
indeed correct, I would like to have the names of the field displayed
in the cell, instead of the cell contents. Is that possible?

If by "names of the field" you mean the formulas in each cell
instead of the result:

Tools - Options - View pane, find and tick "Formulas" under
"Window options".

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a list with
fieldnames and cell-references (like the list which is produced by
pasting the namelist) and feed this to Excel in order to define the
named fields.

dman (annoyed Microsoft doesn't use title case with "Window options")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, I found that option, but I mean the name of the field which you can
use to refer to instead of using the direct cell reference (like B3).

Dallman Ross schreef:

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly:

I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the fieldnames are
indeed correct, I would like to have the names of the field displayed
in the cell, instead of the cell contents. Is that possible?

If by "names of the field" you mean the formulas in each cell
instead of the result:

Tools - Options - View pane, find and tick "Formulas" under
"Window options".

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a list with
fieldnames and cell-references (like the list which is produced by
pasting the namelist) and feed this to Excel in order to define the
named fields.

dman (annoyed Microsoft doesn't use title case with "Window options")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In .com,
insomniux spake thusly:

No, I found that option, but I mean the name of the field
which you can use to refer to instead of using the direct cell
reference (like B3).

Ah, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. There is a way to do that,
as well! It's also in Options. In fact, I found it two days ago
and turned it on, though I haven't tried it yet.

In Excel 2002, anyway -- under the Calculation tab in the
Options area, tick "Accept labels in formulas", the bottom-
right choice on that tab pane.

---------------------------------------
Dallman Ross schreef:

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly:

I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the
fieldnames are indeed correct, I would like to have the names
of the field displayed in the cell, instead of the cell
contents. Is that possible?

If by "names of the field" you mean the formulas in each cell
instead of the result:

Tools - Options - View pane, find and tick "Formulas" under
"Window options".

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a list
with fieldnames and cell-references (like the list which is
produced by pasting the namelist) and feed this to Excel in
order to define the named fields.

dman (annoyed Microsoft doesn't use title case with "Window
options")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Mmmm...
Still does not exactly what I need. If that box is checked, the names
_can_ be used and displayed in formula's, But if a cell has no formula,
it still can have a name.

The purpose is to do some validation. I will refer to the cellnames
from another sheet, but I have to make sure the name corresponds with
the text-label of the field.

Dallman Ross schreef:

In .com,
insomniux spake thusly:

No, I found that option, but I mean the name of the field
which you can use to refer to instead of using the direct cell
reference (like B3).

Ah, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. There is a way to do that,
as well! It's also in Options. In fact, I found it two days ago
and turned it on, though I haven't tried it yet.

In Excel 2002, anyway -- under the Calculation tab in the
Options area, tick "Accept labels in formulas", the bottom-
right choice on that tab pane.

---------------------------------------
Dallman Ross schreef:

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly:

I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the
fieldnames are indeed correct, I would like to have the names
of the field displayed in the cell, instead of the cell
contents. Is that possible?

If by "names of the field" you mean the formulas in each cell
instead of the result:

Tools - Options - View pane, find and tick "Formulas" under
"Window options".

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a list
with fieldnames and cell-references (like the list which is
produced by pasting the namelist) and feed this to Excel in
order to define the named fields.

dman (annoyed Microsoft doesn't use title case with "Window
options")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Try downloading Jan Karel's Name Manager.
http://www.jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"insomniux" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mmmm...
Still does not exactly what I need. If that box is checked, the names
_can_ be used and displayed in formula's, But if a cell has no
formula,
it still can have a name.

The purpose is to do some validation. I will refer to the cellnames
from another sheet, but I have to make sure the name corresponds with
the text-label of the field.

Dallman Ross schreef:

In .com,
insomniux spake thusly:

No, I found that option, but I mean the name of the field
which you can use to refer to instead of using the direct cell
reference (like B3).

Ah, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. There is a way to do that,
as well! It's also in Options. In fact, I found it two days ago
and turned it on, though I haven't tried it yet.

In Excel 2002, anyway -- under the Calculation tab in the
Options area, tick "Accept labels in formulas", the bottom-
right choice on that tab pane.

---------------------------------------
Dallman Ross schreef:

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly:

I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the
fieldnames are indeed correct, I would like to have the names
of the field displayed in the cell, instead of the cell
contents. Is that possible?

If by "names of the field" you mean the formulas in each cell
instead of the result:

Tools - Options - View pane, find and tick "Formulas" under
"Window options".

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a list
with fieldnames and cell-references (like the list which is
produced by pasting the namelist) and feed this to Excel in
order to define the named fields.

dman (annoyed Microsoft doesn't use title case with "Window
options")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In .com,
insomniux spake thusly:

Mmmm... Still does not exactly what I need. If that box is
checked, the names _can_ be used and displayed in formula's, But
if a cell has no formula, it still can have a name.

The purpose is to do some validation. I will refer to the
cellnames from another sheet, but I have to make sure the name
corresponds with the text-label of the field.

I think I didn't really understand what you were after even
after I thought I did the second time. :-) Sorry.
I'm still not entirely sure what the best approach is
for you. However, I wonder if the advanced add-in
Names Manager will help. I have been using it for a
few days now and like it.
http://www.jkp-ads.com/officemarketplacenm-en.asp

You might also find useful the DataRefiner Add-in by
Ron de bruin and Norman Harker:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/datarefiner.htm
I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.

Hmm, this also looks possibly useful:
http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal

---------------------------

Dallman Ross schreef:

In .com,
insomniux spake thusly:

No, I found that option, but I mean the name of the field
which you can use to refer to instead of using the direct
cell reference (like B3).

Ah, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. There is a way to do
that, as well! It's also in Options. In fact, I found it two
days ago and turned it on, though I haven't tried it yet.

In Excel 2002, anyway -- under the Calculation tab in the
Options area, tick "Accept labels in formulas", the bottom-
right choice on that tab pane.

---------------------------------------

Dallman Ross schreef:

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly:

I have a sheet with 100 named fields. To verify if the
fieldnames are indeed correct, I would like to have the
names of the field displayed in the cell, instead of the
cell contents. Is that possible?

If by "names of the field" you mean the formulas in each
cell instead of the result:

Tools - Options - View pane, find and tick "Formulas"
under "Window options".

Also I would like to know if it is possible to make a
list with fieldnames and cell-references (like the list
which is produced by pasting the namelist) and feed this
to Excel in order to define the named fields.

dman (annoyed Microsoft doesn't use title case with "Window
options")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bingo!!!
Exactly what I need. You can select Highlight names. Then it will
create an overlay on each named cel with the givenname. Brilliant
Thanks for the tip and thanks to JanKarel
Insomniux

"insomniux" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mmmm...
Still does not exactly what I need. If that box is checked, the names
_can_ be used and displayed in formula's, But if a cell has no
formula,
it still can have a name.

The purpose is to do some validation. I will refer to the cellnames
from another sheet, but I have to make sure the name corresponds with
the text-label of the field.

Dallman Ross schreef:

In .com,
insomniux spake thusly:

No, I found that option, but I mean the name of the field
which you can use to refer to instead of using the direct cell
reference (like B3).

Ah, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding. There is a way to do that,
as well! It's also in Options. In fact, I found it two days ago
and turned it on, though I haven't tried it yet.

In Excel 2002, anyway -- under the Calculation tab in the
Options area, tick "Accept labels in formulas", the bottom-
right choice on that tab pane.

Dallman Ross schreef:

In . com,
insomniux spake thusly: