-   -   Frequency (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/113655-frequency.html)

Luis Rodriguez

Frequency

How would I determine the frequency of a text cell, based on a specific
criteria, and then have it display the most frequent text. In other words,
let say you have the following:

Car Make Model Parts
Honda Accord Fan
Chevy Blazer Hose
Honda Civic Glass
Honda Accord Belts
Honda Accord Fan
Chevy Blazer Hose
Chevy Impala Hose
Honda Accord Fan

How would I be able to determine which part is most frequently used, based
on the spefic "Make" and "Model" criteria and then display the most needed
part.
In other words:

Car Make Model Most Used Part
Honda Accord FAN
Chevy Blazer HOSE

Any asistance would be greatly appreciated

Biff

Frequency

This works as long as there is a "mode" (more than 1 matching part):

Entered as an array using the key comination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just
ENTER):

=INDEX(part,MODE(IF(make=A15,IF(model=B15,MATCH(pa rt,part,0)))))

Whe A15 = Honda, B15 = Accord, returns: fan.

Based on your sample data the formula will reurn #N/A if you wanted Honda
Civic because there's only one instance of Honda Civic and one instance of
glass for Honda Civic. In other words, there's not a "mode" for those
criteria.

Biff

"Luis Rodriguez" <Luis wrote in message
[...]

Thanks a ton, Buff. This is great!