-   -   Where is the Instr() function in Excel 2003? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/113445-where-instr-function-excel-2003-a.html)

chem21

Where is the Instr() function in Excel 2003?

Previous version of MS Excel had string function called Instr() which
returned the numerical position of a substring. I use it quite frequently but
I can't find it in Microsoft Excel 2003. Was it removed? Why?

The Instr() string function is still in Access 2003, so why wouldn't it
still be in Excel 2003.

Terry H

smw226 via OfficeKB.com

Where is the Instr() function in Excel 2003?

Hi Chem21

Try:

=Find("Find_String","In_String","Start Number")

Thanks,

Simon

chem21 wrote:
Previous version of MS Excel had string function called Instr() which
returned the numerical position of a substring. I use it quite frequently but
I can't find it in Microsoft Excel 2003. Was it removed? Why?

The Instr() string function is still in Access 2003, so why wouldn't it
still be in Excel 2003.

Terry H

Niek Otten

Where is the Instr() function in Excel 2003?

Hi Terry,

AFAIK, the Instr() function was available in VBA only, and it still is.
Use the FIND() function in a worksheet

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"chem21" wrote in message ...
| Previous version of MS Excel had string function called Instr() which
| returned the numerical position of a substring. I use it quite frequently but
| I can't find it in Microsoft Excel 2003. Was it removed? Why?
|
| The Instr() string function is still in Access 2003, so why wouldn't it
| still be in Excel 2003.
|
| Terry H

vezerid

Where is the Instr() function in Excel 2003?

Terry,
sometimes the Worksheet functions used in Excel have the same name as
those used in VBA (e.g. MID). Sometimes they have slightly different
names (e.g. RAND in Excel, Rnd in VBA). It can also happen that a
symbol is a function in Excel (MOD(5, 2)) and an operator in VBA (e.g.
5 Mod 2)

VBA Instr is served by FIND() and SEARCH(). They have identical syntax.
FIND is case sensitive and SEARCH is case-insensitive.

Does this help?
Kostis Vezerides