-   -   How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11305-how-stop-autoopening-xls-of2003-inside-ie.html)

s00t00

How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE

How to Stop AutoOpening of XLS (Of2003) inside IE

I have installed XP SP2 and Office 2003 Pro, both fully
updated via WindowsUpdate and OfficeUpdate.

Whenever I click a link that will kick off an Excel
file (XLS), I do not get the option to Open or Save, it
automatically opens the file inside an IE window.

1. How can I restore the option of Open or Save? I do
not want it to automatically open it inside IE. I
want to save it to the disk so I can open it inside
Excel or import it into Access.

2. When IE currently opens the XLS file, I go to the
View-Toolbars and select Standard so I can select
the PrintPreview icon (since IE does not provide it
when opening the XLS). However, when I select the
PrintPreview icon, nothing happens. I can select
it again and again, and nothing still happens.

I performed a repair on the Office 2003 installation,
and it still behaves as such. For #1 above, I tried
going to Explorer, Folder Options-File Types,
selecting the XLS extension and then unchecking the
"Confirm open after download" but it still auto-opens
the file inside an IE window.

Any thought(s)?

I will be posting in both the Excel and IE forums as
it a bit of both.

Dave Peterson

maybe...

How to Configure Internet Explorer to Open Office
Documents in the Appropriate Office Program Instead of in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=162059

--

Dave Peterson