-   -   Excel files suddenly unreadable (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/112695-excel-files-suddenly-unreadable.html)

computar2006

Excel files suddenly unreadable

I was working on two business plans which consisted of two word files
and two excel files. Everything seemed fine until I installed Sage
accounts and now one of my word files is totally corrupt and the excel
files are unreadable when trying to open with excel. It just says
"file is in an unrecognizable format". I even installed excel on a new
computer with a clean install of windows and the same thing happens.
Even when uninstalling Sage accounts, it's the same problem.

Gord Dibben

Excel files suddenly unreadable

I will guess that the Excel files were opened with Word(it will do that) and
then got saved as Word Documents.

It will do that too.

Open the Excel files in Word and try to get as much of data back as you can.

Copy to a new Excel workbook.

Then I would perhaps get rid of Sage accounts if that's where all you problems
started.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP