-   -   if statement where cell is not empty (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/112366-if-statement-where-cell-not-empty.html)

mattguerilla

if statement where cell is not empty

when writing if statements, if I want a certain action when the cell is empty
i write - if(A1="","do this","do something else"). But if I want it to do
something when there is anything in the cell in question how do I write the
statement? ie, if(A1="anything","do this","do something else".

Hope I am making sense.

Matt

David Biddulph

"mattguerilla" wrote in message
when writing if statements, if I want a certain action when the cell is
empty
i write - if(A1="","do this","do something else"). But if I want it to do
something when there is anything in the cell in question how do I write
the
statement? ie, if(A1="anything","do this","do something else".

Hope I am making sense.

=if(A1="","do something else","do this")

or =IF(ISBLANK(A1),"do something else","do this")
--
David Biddulph

Domenic

if statement where cell is not empty

Try...

=IF(A1<"","Do This","Do Something Else")

Hope this helps!

In article ,
mattguerilla wrote:

when writing if statements, if I want a certain action when the cell is empty
i write - if(A1="","do this","do something else"). But if I want it to do
something when there is anything in the cell in question how do I write the
statement? ie, if(A1="anything","do this","do something else".

Hope I am making sense.

Matt

excelent

"mattguerilla" skrev:

when writing if statements, if I want a certain action when the cell is empty
i write - if(A1="","do this","do something else"). But if I want it to do
something when there is anything in the cell in question how do I write the
statement? ie, if(A1="anything","do this","do something else".

Hope I am making sense.

Matt

Bob Umlas

if statement where cell is not empty

=IF(A1<"","Not empty","Empty")

"mattguerilla" wrote in message
when writing if statements, if I want a certain action when the cell is
empty
i write - if(A1="","do this","do something else"). But if I want it to do
something when there is anything in the cell in question how do I write
the
statement? ie, if(A1="anything","do this","do something else".

Hope I am making sense.

Matt

Toppers

if statement where cell is not empty

=If(A1<"","do this","do that")

< means "Is not"/"Not equal to" so <"" means "is not empty"

BUT equally

=if(A1="","do this","do something else") would also work as the "do
something else" is actioned if A1 is not empty.

HTH

"mattguerilla" wrote:

when writing if statements, if I want a certain action when the cell is empty
i write - if(A1="","do this","do something else"). But if I want it to do
something when there is anything in the cell in question how do I write the
statement? ie, if(A1="anything","do this","do something else".

Hope I am making sense.

Matt

FloMM2

if statement where cell is not empty

Mattguella,
This works for a cell that is empty:
Cell A1 - blank, cell A2 - =IF(A1="", "got it!", "Aint got it!")
This works for a cell that is not empty:
Cell A2 - blank, cell B2 - =IF(A2="", "Aint got it!","Got it!")
Good luck,