-   -   how can I count distinct names in an excel list? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/11232-how-can-i-count-distinct-names-excel-list.html)

RPC@Frito

how can I count distinct names in an excel list?

I'm using Excel 97 and have a list of names. The entire list is 22,000 rows
or so, and all the names in the list are repeated numerous times (it's
downloaded data). I don't want to delete all the duplicates but want to be
able to count how many distinct names there are in the list.

Any solutions out there?

Thx.

Paul B

Here is one way,

=COUNT(IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,A:A),1))
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"RPC@Frito" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 97 and have a list of names. The entire list is 22,000
rows
or so, and all the names in the list are repeated numerous times (it's
downloaded data). I don't want to delete all the duplicates but want to
be
able to count how many distinct names there are in the list.

Any solutions out there?

Thx.

Peo Sjoblom

Easiest would be to use datafilteradvanced filter, copy to another
location and unique records only, then count the extracted list

=COUNTA(extracted_range)

or use a formula

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A22000<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A22000,A1:A22000&""))

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"RPC@Frito" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 97 and have a list of names. The entire list is 22,000

rows
or so, and all the names in the list are repeated numerous times (it's
downloaded data). I don't want to delete all the duplicates but want to

be
able to count how many distinct names there are in the list.

Any solutions out there?

Thx.

Gord Dibben

Paul

This is the second time you have posted this formula in two days.

Have you tried it on any column of data other than numerics?

Returns 0 for me and the Help states it won't work on blanks or text cells.

Frito

Suggest you look at Chip Pearson's site......

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:53:58 -0500, "Paul B"
wrote:

Here is one way,

=COUNT(IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,A:A),1))

Paul B

Gord, sorry did not check it on text, but it looks like it does work over a
range with blank cells, on numerics.

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

Paul

This is the second time you have posted this formula in two days.

Have you tried it on any column of data other than numerics?

Returns 0 for me and the Help states it won't work on blanks or text
cells.

Frito

Suggest you look at Chip Pearson's site......

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:53:58 -0500, "Paul B"

wrote:

Here is one way,

=COUNT(IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,A:A),1))

Gord Dibben

Paul

Correct. Does work with blanks it the range. My bad.

Gord

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:55:49 -0500, "Paul B"
wrote:

Gord, sorry did not check it on text, but it looks like it does work over a
range with blank cells, on numerics.

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

.. .
Paul

This is the second time you have posted this formula in two days.

Have you tried it on any column of data other than numerics?

Returns 0 for me and the Help states it won't work on blanks or text
cells.

Frito

Suggest you look at Chip Pearson's site......

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:53:58 -0500, "Paul B"

wrote:

Here is one way,

=COUNT(IF(FREQUENCY(A:A,A:A),1))