-   -   Array problems (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/112054-array-problems.html)

Bruce D.

Array problems

Hello all,

I have the following formula using 3 name arrays of Day,City,columL.
ColumL is a sum of L11:L19. I am receiving the #Value error. I've tried
every way I know to solve this. Any ideas??

=SUM(AND(Day,"=Sunday",City,"=West",columL)).

The below formula works but I can't seem to get the second condition to work.

=SUMIF(Day,"=Sunday",columL)

Thanks to all who take the time to answer!!!!!

BD

T Kirtley

Array problems

For multiple criteria you cannot use the SUMIF() function.

Presuming that your named ranges are all the same shape you can use the
SUMPRODUCT()function as follows:

=SUMPRODUCT(1*(Day="Sunday"),1*(City="West"),ColmL )

Alternately, you could use an array formula like the following:

{=SUM(IF((Day="Sunday")*(City="West"),ColumL))}

which must be entered using a Ctrl^Shift^Enter key combination. This creates
the bracket characters which are not entered by you

HTH,

TK

"Bruce D." wrote:

Hello all,

I have the following formula using 3 name arrays of Day,City,columL.
ColumL is a sum of L11:L19. I am receiving the #Value error. I've tried
every way I know to solve this. Any ideas??

=SUM(AND(Day,"=Sunday",City,"=West",columL)).

The below formula works but I can't seem to get the second condition to work.

=SUMIF(Day,"=Sunday",columL)

Thanks to all who take the time to answer!!!!!

BD

Bruce D.

Array problems

TK,

Tks for your reply but what if I want a "OR" condition. If the day=sunday or
city = west sum the values in colum L.

--
Bruce DiPaola

"Bruce D." wrote:

Hello all,

I have the following formula using 3 name arrays of Day,City,columL.
ColumL is a sum of L11:L19. I am receiving the #Value error. I've tried
every way I know to solve this. Any ideas??

=SUM(AND(Day,"=Sunday",City,"=West",columL)).

The below formula works but I can't seem to get the second condition to work.

=SUMIF(Day,"=Sunday",columL)

Thanks to all who take the time to answer!!!!!

BD

Bruce D.

Array problems

Also, it is not summing correctly. One record has both sunday and west for a
total of 24 and another record has only sunday for a total of 22. The formula
does not add the second record for some reason.

"Bruce D." wrote:

Hello all,

I have the following formula using 3 name arrays of Day,City,columL.
ColumL is a sum of L11:L19. I am receiving the #Value error. I've tried
every way I know to solve this. Any ideas??

=SUM(AND(Day,"=Sunday",City,"=West",columL)).

The below formula works but I can't seem to get the second condition to work.

=SUMIF(Day,"=Sunday",columL)

Thanks to all who take the time to answer!!!!!

BD

T Kirtley

Array problems

With the Array approach its pretty simple; you just use the + operator in
place of the * character to indicate an OR condition like the following:

{=SUM(IF((Day="Sunday")+(City="West"),ColumL))}

This returns the total of all rows in ColumL with a Day of "Sunday" OR a
City of "West"

An OR condition is more complicated with the SUMPRODUCT() but can be done by
combining multiple formulas such as:

=SUMIF(Day,"Sunday",ColumL)+SUMIF(City,"West",Colu mL)-SUMPRODUCT(1*(Day="Sunday"),1*(City="West"),ColumL )

This uses Sumif() functions to add all rows with either Day="Sunday" or
City="West" and uses the SUMPRODUCT() function to eliminate double counting
of rows that are both Day="Sunday" and City="West"

TK