-   -   Formula starts =+(cell reference) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/112016-formula-starts-%3D-cell-reference.html)

chaunceycupoo

Formula starts =+(cell reference)

Can anyone provide a detailed explanation of what it means when a formula is
input into a cell with the addition sign immediately after the =.

Examples: =+a1, =+C:\Excel\[WB]Sheet1!A1, =+L187+(Q213), =+Sum(A1:A33)

I inherited several spreadsheets that I am revising that use this convention
and I can't seem to find any information on what it means other then a note
in Excel for Dummies stating this means you want to make the value
"explicitly positve"

Does anyone have more information on this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gord Dibben

Formula starts =+(cell reference)

It means that an ex-Lotus user entered the formula by starting it with the "+"
sign.

+A1 which Excel converts to =+A1

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:40:02 -0700, chaunceycupoo
wrote:

Can anyone provide a detailed explanation of what it means when a formula is
input into a cell with the addition sign immediately after the =.

Examples: =+a1, =+C:\Excel\[WB]Sheet1!A1, =+L187+(Q213), =+Sum(A1:A33)

I inherited several spreadsheets that I am revising that use this convention
and I can't seem to find any information on what it means other then a note
in Excel for Dummies stating this means you want to make the value
"explicitly positve"

Does anyone have more information on this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don Guillett

Formula starts =+(cell reference)

It's a carryover from 123. Usually it is harmless to leave it in. Also some
parenthesis are unnecessary
Examples:
=+a1, =a1
=+C:\Excel\[WB]Sheet1!A1,
=+L187+(Q213), =l187+q213
=+Sum(A1:A33) =sum(etc

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"chaunceycupoo" wrote in message
Can anyone provide a detailed explanation of what it means when a formula
is
input into a cell with the addition sign immediately after the =.

Examples: =+a1, =+C:\Excel\[WB]Sheet1!A1, =+L187+(Q213), =+Sum(A1:A33)

I inherited several spreadsheets that I am revising that use this
convention
and I can't seem to find any information on what it means other then a
note
in Excel for Dummies stating this means you want to make the value
"explicitly positve"

Does anyone have more information on this. Thanks in advance for any help.

David Biddulph

Formula starts =+(cell reference)

"chaunceycupoo" wrote in message
Can anyone provide a detailed explanation of what it means when a formula
is
input into a cell with the addition sign immediately after the =.

Examples: =+a1, =+C:\Excel\[WB]Sheet1!A1, =+L187+(Q213), =+Sum(A1:A33)

I inherited several spreadsheets that I am revising that use this
convention
and I can't seem to find any information on what it means other then a
note
in Excel for Dummies stating this means you want to make the value
"explicitly positve"

Does anyone have more information on this. Thanks in advance for any help.

It's probably a relic from Lotus, or otherwise someone who doesn't
understand.
--
David Biddulph