-   -   conditional formatting with text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111869-conditional-formatting-text.html)

Christine Hemphill

conditional formatting with text

I am trying to make three conitional formats on a cell with text.
The cell text will be one of the following:
Di......
Do.....
or something else.
If the text begins with Di, I wat the cell format to be red text.
If the text begins with Do, I want the cell format to be blue text.
If the text does not begin with Di or Do, I want the cell format to be black
text.

I set the conditional formatting as follows:
Cond #1: Cell Value is not between Di & Do then black
Cond #2: Cell Value is greater than Di then red text
Cond #3: Cell Value is greater than or equal to Do thenblue text

Condition #1 is overwriting condition #3. If I switch them, cond3 overwrites
cond1.

How do I make this work? Is there a way to say If Cell Value is greater than
Do....?

bj

conditional formatting with text

try
=and(left(a1,2)<"Di",Left(A1,2)<"Do") for black
=left(A1,2)="Di" for red
=left(A1,2)="Do" for blue

"Christine Hemphill" wrote:

[...]

I entered it just like you have below, but everything is now showing as black
text. I went back in and noticed that it replaced all of the (A1,2) with
(A7,2). I may not understand the logic. Why is it replacing that?

"Christine Hemphill" wrote:

[...]

I rechecked. It replaced the 1 with a 7 when I used the format paste function
on a cell in row 8. Now that I know why it did that, I still don't know why
it didn't work on the first one. Please help.

"Christine Hemphill" wrote:

[...]

make sure you enter the cell name of the first cell in the selectied cells in
the conditional format equation

"Christine Hemphill" wrote:

[...]

enter the equations in a blank cell referencing a cell which you think meets
the character requirements. if the response is false there may be a leading
space and you may have to add a trim() portion

"Christine Hemphill" wrote:

[...]

Let's see............
There is only one cell that the text is in. That cell is populated using a
formula referring to another tab. I am trying to set up the three conditions
on that one cell. I changed the conditional formats to look at that cell. It
is still not working. Help.