-   -   Numbers act like text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111863-numbers-act-like-text.html)

evan

Numbers act like text

We get spreadsheets from another application that have a column of "numbers"
that act like text. The only way to get them to act like numbers is to copy
them out to a text file and then copy them back in. Is there an easier way?

T Kirtley

Numbers act like text

Format the cells with a numeric format, goto a blank non-text cell and copy
it, then select the range of 'text numbers', select paste special from the
Edit menu and choose 'Add" That will convert the text to numeric values, and
wont affect any cells containing true text in the selected range.

HTH,

TK

"Evan" wrote:

We get spreadsheets from another application that have a column of "numbers"
that act like text. The only way to get them to act like numbers is to copy
them out to a text file and then copy them back in. Is there an easier way?

Pete_UK

Numbers act like text

You could try this short-cut method - highlight the column with the
offending "numbers". Click Data | Text-to-columns and in the panel that
pops up just click Finish.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Evan wrote:
We get spreadsheets from another application that have a column of "numbers"
that act like text. The only way to get them to act like numbers is to copy
them out to a text file and then copy them back in. Is there an easier way?

Ken Johnson

Numbers act like text

=VALUE(A1)

might work