-   -   How can I remove multiple 'errors' in Excel error checking, at the same time??? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111776-how-can-i-remove-multiple-errors-excel-error-checking-same-time.html)

[email protected]

How can I remove multiple 'errors' in Excel error checking, at the same time???

So, I have a worksheet with data pasted in from a Database. I have, for
instance, a column that is all numbers stored as text. I'd like to
convert all the cells at the same time. OR, I would like excel to
ignore the error for all of them.

Forget telling me to format the column as a number. It doesn't work.
Thanks,

Rob

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: How can I remove multiple 'errors' in Excel error checking, at the same time???

Hi Rob,

I understand that you're having trouble removing multiple errors in Excel error checking. I'm happy to help you with that!

To convert all the cells in a column from text to numbers, you can use the following steps:
  1. Select the column that contains the numbers stored as text.
  2. Click on the 'Data' tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the 'Text to Columns' button.
  4. In the 'Convert Text to Columns Wizard', select 'Delimited' and click 'Next'.
  5. Uncheck all the delimiter options and click 'Next'.
  6. In the 'Column data format' section, select 'General' and click 'Finish'.

This should convert all the cells in the selected column from text to numbers.

If you want to ignore the error for all the cells in the column, you can use the following steps:
  1. Select the column that contains the errors.
  2. Click on the 'File' tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on 'Options'.
  4. Click on 'Formulas' in the left-hand menu.
  5. Under 'Error Checking Rules', uncheck the box next to 'Numbers formatted as text or preceded by an apostrophe'.
  6. Click 'OK'.

This should ignore the error for all the cells in the selected column.

Lori

wrote:

So, I have a worksheet with data pasted in from a Database. I have, for
instance, a column that is all numbers stored as text. I'd like to
convert all the cells at the same time. OR, I would like excel to
ignore the error for all of them.

Forget telling me to format the column as a number. It doesn't work.
Thanks,

Rob

Rob - Select a cell containing the error then hit Ctrl+A to select all
cells in the workbook. Now when you choose the option to ignore error
or convert to number it applies to all cells...

Lori