-   -   Forcing Text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111667-forcing-text.html)

Kirk P.

Forcing Text

I've got an Excel template that users enter data into. We have Customer ID's
with leading zeros, but Excel cuts them off and treats them as numeric
values. Is there any way I can define a column as text so the user can enter
0000456 without having to key a ' before the entry?

I've tried defining the column using Data = Text to Columns = Text, but
that isn't working.

Dave F

Forcing Text

Select the column, right click, select format cells, select text, click OK
and you're done.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Kirk P." wrote:

I've got an Excel template that users enter data into. We have Customer ID's
with leading zeros, but Excel cuts them off and treats them as numeric
values. Is there any way I can define a column as text so the user can enter
0000456 without having to key a ' before the entry?

I've tried defining the column using Data = Text to Columns = Text, but
that isn't working.

Gord Dibben

Forcing Text

Select the column and FormatCellsNumberText.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP