-   -   Entering text in cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111555-entering-text-cells.html)

Hallway

Entering text in cells

How do I enter multi-line text (such as a 3 line address) in a cell without
having to use the space bar to move the cursor to the right of the cell so
that the next line will be below the previous line?
--
PDH

Dave Peterson

Entering text in cells

You can hit alt-enter to force a new line within that cell.

Hallway wrote:

How do I enter multi-line text (such as a 3 line address) in a cell without
having to use the space bar to move the cursor to the right of the cell so
that the next line will be below the previous line?
--
PDH

--

Dave Peterson

Harvey Norman (AUS)

Entering text in cells

When you want to change a new line within a cell. Just simple hold "Alt" key
+ Enter
Try it!!

0l0

Hallway

Entering text in cells

That does it...thanks very much...is there a way to program a single key to
do the same thing?
--
PDH

Hallway wrote:

How do I enter multi-line text (such as a 3 line address) in a cell without
having to use the space bar to move the cursor to the right of the cell so
that the next line will be below the previous line?
--
PDH

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Entering text in cells

Not while you're editting the cell (macros won't run).

But you could use some unique character (say the vertical bar |) and then come
back and select all the cells with that character and
edit|replace
what: |
with: ctrl-j
replace all

But I've found hitting ctrl-enter (two keys) not really too difficult to master.