-   -   calculate the sum of characters in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111427-calculate-sum-characters-cell.html)

Nat

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

tim m

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

Can you elaborate? What do you mean? roman numerals? Adding the number of
letters in a cell? Can you give us an example of your data?

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

Dave F

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

I think you mean the sum of the digits in the cell, correct?

E.g., if the cell reads 1345, you'd want it to return 13...

This macro will help you:
https://www.exceltip.com/st/Sum_the_...Excel/620.html

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

Nat

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

thank you for your reply

I'm looking to calculate how much alphabetical characters I have in each cell

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

Dave F

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

Oh, then just do =LEN(A1), etc.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

Nat

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for

"Dave F" wrote:

Oh, then just do =LEN(A1), etc.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

CLR

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

FWIW, in Excelese, this formula could provide the COUNT of the number of
characters in a cell, rather than their SUM..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Nat" wrote:

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for

"Dave F" wrote:

Oh, then just do =LEN(A1), etc.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

Nat

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

I dont see any function named FWIW

"Nat" wrote:

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for

"Dave F" wrote:

Oh, then just do =LEN(A1), etc.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nat" wrote:

is there a tool to calculate the sum of characters in a cell?

Dave F

calculate the sum of characters in a cell

FWIW is not an excel function. It means "for what it's worth."
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Nat" wrote:

Thanks, this is what I'm looking for