-   -   Excel formula needed (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111393-excel-formula-needed.html)

LesLdh

Excel formula needed

Can somebody help me out with this formula that has been driving me mad for
the last week.

1 100
2 15%
3 85

I need a formula to put into A1 based on the figures in A2 and A3 so that
A1-A2=A3. A3 and A2 are known but variable amounts.

many thanks, Les.

Carim

Excel formula needed

Hi,

In A1 type following :

=A3/(1-A2)

HTH
Cheers
Carim

LesLdh

Excel formula needed

Thanks Carim, however that creates a circular reference as A3=A1-A2. Any idea
how to avoid this?
Les.

"Carim" wrote:

Hi,

In A1 type following :

=A3/(1-A2)

HTH
Cheers
Carim

Carim

Excel formula needed

Hi Les,

Yes it does ... since you wanted A1 to be a function of A2 and A3 ...
In your scenario, A3 has to be an input ...

HTH
Cheers
Carim

CLR

Excel formula needed

A3 cannot be both a "known value" and a formula depending on the unknown
value of A1, at the same time.........it may seem like semantics but in order
to help you, it might be better if you re-stated your desires........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3