-   -   changing letters to numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111276-changing-letters-numbers.html)

Dimitri

changing letters to numbers

I have a group of letters that I would like to change to numbers. namely B to
1 and P to 2.

Thanks for your help.

paul

changing letters to numbers

i am sure it is a little more involved than that,otherwise you could just
change them
do p and b appear in a formula or as a result of a formula,or are they
choices from a list or.....?
--
paul

remove nospam for email addy!

"Dimitri" wrote:

I have a group of letters that I would like to change to numbers. namely B to
1 and P to 2.

Thanks for your help.

L. Howard Kittle

changing letters to numbers

A little short on info but this may help.

=LOOKUP(A1,{"B","P"},{1,2})

Where A1 has a B or P and the formula cell returns 1 or 2.

HTH
Regards,
Howard