-   -   change negative sign from end of the number to the begining (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111162-change-negative-sign-end-number-begining.html)

James

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

Dave F

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Type 1 in an empty cell in your spread sheet. Copy it then select the column
of numbers in question, paste special, multiply.

This multiplies all values by positive 1 (so positive values remain positive
and negative values remain negative) and all your negative numbers should be
formatted consistently.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"james" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

James

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Dave,

I tried your method, but it did not work.

"james" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

Dave F

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

How are the numbers formatted? Right-click on one of the numbers which has
the negative sign to the right and see what its formatting looks like. See
if you can select formatting with the sign on the left.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"james" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

James

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Dave,

The format said the cell did not have specific format. I am not able to
convert to regular negative sign.

"james" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

Dave Peterson

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Dana DeLouis posted this:

Sub TrailingMinus()
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
' Use of CDbl suggested by Peter Surcouf
' Program by Dana DeLouis,
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dim rng As Range
Dim bigrng As Range

On Error Resume Next
Set bigrng = Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Cells
If bigrng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

For Each rng In bigrng.Cells
rng = CDbl(rng)
Next

james wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

--

Dave Peterson

RagDyeR

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

I would guess that perhaps your numbers are really text that just look like
numbers.

You could try this text formula to *both* move the minus sign and coerce the
text to numbers:

=IF(ISERR(A1*1),LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*-1,A1)

--
HTH,

RD

"james" wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with
negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from
back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

James

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Thanks Dave,

It works great.

James

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Dana DeLouis posted this:

Sub TrailingMinus()
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

james wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

DataText to ColumnsNextNextAdvanced.

Make sure the "trailing minus etc." option is checked and Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:38:02 -0700, james
wrote:

Thanks Dave,

It works great.

James

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Dana DeLouis posted this:

Sub TrailingMinus()
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

james wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

--

Dave Peterson

RagDyeR

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

What version Gord?

RD

DataText to ColumnsNextNextAdvanced.

Make sure the "trailing minus etc." option is checked and Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:38:02 -0700, james

wrote:

Thanks Dave,

It works great.

James

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Dana DeLouis posted this:

Sub TrailingMinus()
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
' Use of CDbl suggested by Peter Surcouf
' Program by Dana DeLouis,
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dim rng As Range
Dim bigrng As Range

On Error Resume Next
Set bigrng = Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Cells
If bigrng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

For Each rng In bigrng.Cells
rng = CDbl(rng)
Next
End Sub

If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro
at:

james wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative
sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back
of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

xl2002+
(IIRC)

RagDyer wrote:

What version Gord?

RD

DataText to ColumnsNextNextAdvanced.

Make sure the "trailing minus etc." option is checked and Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:38:02 -0700, james

wrote:

Thanks Dave,

It works great.

James

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Dana DeLouis posted this:

Sub TrailingMinus()
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

james wrote:

Hi,

I have a column of numbers. Some of the negative number with negative
sigh
at the end of the number. How to I convert the negative sign from back
of the
number to the front of the number. ( x- - -x)

Thanks

James

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

RagDyeR

change negative sign from end of the number to the begining

Been working on the older machines too much!

Thanks Dave.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
xl2002+
(IIRC)

RagDyer wrote:

What version Gord?

RD

-

-
DataText to ColumnsNextNextAdvanced.

Make sure the "trailing minus etc." option is checked and Finish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:38:02 -0700, james

wrote:

Thanks Dave,

It works great.

James