-   -   What does Microsoft want me to do? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/111034-what-does-microsoft-want-me-do.html)

Mike1942

What does Microsoft want me to do?

When I installed MicroSoft Office 2003 Teacher and Student, it did stupid
things to my ability to use MicroSoft Works on my machine. One of these is a
request to Register my software when I call up an XLS file for Works
Spreadsheet. When I click on Register to get rid of the notice, I get this
page http://register.microsoft.com/regsys...4538&lcid=1033
which produces a 404 error. I can't find Works on the Microsoft site and
besides I think the problem is Office. The other problem is when I try to
pullup the Works Word Processor (not the version of Office in the Works
Suite). I get a demand that I come up with the installation disk for the
license statement, when I have been using the product for years. There I
can't get into the WP, so I re-aimed WPS to open Word. (Works has a couple
of features in searching for control characters that I like that Word does
not seem to have. And it shows Tabs better)
I put in a request for assistance and exchanged e-mails showing copies of
the screen and got idiotic restatements of what I wanted ("I understand you
want to use a spreadsheet. Is this correct?") and no help.

Gary''s Student

What does Microsoft want me to do?

You should be able to get both Works and Office to work on the same computer.

I suggest that you attack two problems separately:

1. Insure that both Works and Office run
2. Decide on and set-up file associations

1. Try to get Word (and the other Office programs) to run directly; that is
without double-clicking a document icon. and do the same for Works. If Works
does not run, then remove it and re-install it from your CD.

2. Set-up the default application for each of your filetypes. Deciding if
Office or Works should open a .doc file is not any different than deciding if
Word or Wordpad should open a .doc file

3. Even if associations get scrambled you can always start the application
first and then use File Open to open your file.
--
Gary's Student