-   -   How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/110749-how-do-i-insert-pound-sign-infront-different-values-cells.html)

tintintravels

How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells

Excel 2003 - Ihave mulitple cells with different values in them and want to
insert a pound sign infrontof each value. I can do this one by one but is
there a quick way to insert a pound sign in multiple cells without a) doing
each cell one at a time and b) without deleting the values in each cell?

Thank

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells

Yes, there is a quick way to insert a pound sign in front of multiple values in Excel 2003 without deleting the existing values in each cell. Here are the steps:
  1. Select the cells that you want to add the pound sign to.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, select the "Custom" category.
  4. In the "Type" field, enter the following format code:
    Code:

    "£0.00;-£0.00"
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, all the selected cells will display the pound sign in front of their existing values. If you want to apply this format to other cells in the worksheet, you can use the "Format Painter" tool to copy the format from the selected cells and apply it to other cells.

To use the "Format Painter" tool, follow these steps:
  1. Select the cells that have the desired format.
  2. Click on the "Format Painter" button in the "Clipboard" group on the "Home" tab.
  3. Click and drag over the cells that you want to apply the format to.

This will copy the format from the selected cells and apply it to the new cells.

Roger Govier

How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells

Hi

I am guessing that you mean the # symbol for pounds as opposed to
Sterling.
Mark your range of cellsFormatNumberCustom "#" #0.00
or whatever you want to show in terms of decimal places.

As opposed to typing the symbol in the cell along with the figure,
although the number appears as # 2.00 you can still perform math upon
all of the values if required.

If you mean Sterling, then there is an option to
FormatCellsCurrency use drop down to select symbol

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"tintintravels" wrote in
message ...
Excel 2003 - Ihave mulitple cells with different values in them and
want to
insert a pound sign infrontof each value. I can do this one by one
but is
there a quick way to insert a pound sign in multiple cells without a)
doing
each cell one at a time and b) without deleting the values in each
cell?

Thank

Stefi

How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells

Select the cells in question and format them as currency choosing Sub
SingleCust()
custid = InputBox("Enter a Customer ID!")
On Error GoTo NoCust
Columns("A").Find(What:=custid, _
After:=Range("A1"), _
LookAt:=xlWhole, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False).Activate
firstrow = ActiveCell.Row
' If firstrow 0 Then
lastrow = Columns("A").Find(What:="*", _
After:=ActiveCell, _
LookAt:=xlPart, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False).Row - 1
If lastrow < firstrow Then
lastrow = Columns("B").Find(What:="*", _
After:=Range("B1"), _
LookAt:=xlPart, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, _
MatchCase:=False).Row
End If
If firstrow 2 Then
Range("A2:A" & firstrow - 1).EntireRow.Hidden = True
End If
Range("A" & lastrow + 1 & ":A65536").EntireRow.Hidden = True
Exit Sub
NoCust:
MsgBox custid & " does not exist!"
End Sub

tintintravels ezt *rta:

Excel 2003 - Ihave mulitple cells with different values in them and want to
insert a pound sign infrontof each value. I can do this one by one but is
there a quick way to insert a pound sign in multiple cells without a) doing
each cell one at a time and b) without deleting the values in each cell?

Thank

Stefi

How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells

Select the cells in question and format them as currency choosing the pound
symbol from the currency list!

Regards,
Stefi

tintintravels ezt *rta:

Excel 2003 - Ihave mulitple cells with different values in them and want to
insert a pound sign infrontof each value. I can do this one by one but is
there a quick way to insert a pound sign in multiple cells without a) doing
each cell one at a time and b) without deleting the values in each cell?

Thank

Jaleel

How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in cells

Hi,

Select the cells. Go to Format - Cells. Select the Number Tab - Currency.
Click the dropdown arrow key under Symbol and click on £ English (United
Kingdom).
OK.

Regards,

Jaleel

"tintintravels" wrote:

Excel 2003 - Ihave mulitple cells with different values in them and want to
insert a pound sign infrontof each value. I can do this one by one but is
there a quick way to insert a pound sign in multiple cells without a) doing
each cell one at a time and b) without deleting the values in each cell?

Thank

Stefi

How do I insert a pound sign infront of different values in ce

Sorry, this is an erroneous post!
Stefi

Stefi ezt *rta: