-   -   Sorting cells: a list behind the cells do not move with the cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/110724-sorting-cells-list-behind-cells-do-not-move-cell.html)

Ross M

Sorting cells: a list behind the cells do not move with the cell

Using the option Data Validation Settings, I created a list of names
behind the cell for use as a drop-down list.
I did the same with other cells underneath each cell creating different cell
lists.
When I later decide to sort the column, the sorting works on the surface but
the drop-down lists behind the cells do not move with the Sort, hence I then
end up with drop-down lists that are not relevant to the cell

Dave Peterson

Sorting cells: a list behind the cells do not move with the cell

Yep.

Maybe you can reassign the data|validation after the sort????

--

Dave Peterson

Ross M

Sorting cells: a list behind the cells do not move with the ce

I would like to sort the spreadsheet numerous times for different reasons for
reporting purposes. I also simplified the question for discussion purposes. I
merely presented a small example of a much larger issue so that people could
re-create the problem. Resetting the lists is not an option and appears to be
a bug in Excel which would make life much easier if it worked properley (or
if I knew how to get it to work properly)