-   -   How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole column? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/109965-how-can-i-remove-4-9-numbers-cell-whole-column.html)

RISXRAY

How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole column?

Example...

1234-56789 becomes 56789

Toppers

How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole column?

Insert column to right of the column containing your data

Data==Text-to-Columns=Delimited=Other ..enter "-" (no quotes) then Finish.

Delete redundant data i.e one containing the 4 digits.

HTH

"RISXRAY" wrote:

Example...

1234-56789 becomes 56789

RISXRAY

How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole colu

I formated the "-" in the cell by using custom formating (0000-00000), so
when I do the delimiting, it doesn't show the "-". My orginal number is
whole 123456789.

"Toppers" wrote:

Insert column to right of the column containing your data

Data==Text-to-Columns=Delimited=Other ..enter "-" (no quotes) then Finish.

Delete redundant data i.e one containing the 4 digits.

HTH

"RISXRAY" wrote:

Example...

1234-56789 becomes 56789

RISXRAY

How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole colu

Aha.... I removed the formating and did the conversion by a "fixed width".
Works great. Thank you for the lead...

"Toppers" wrote:

Insert column to right of the column containing your data

Data==Text-to-Columns=Delimited=Other ..enter "-" (no quotes) then Finish.

Delete redundant data i.e one containing the 4 digits.

HTH

"RISXRAY" wrote:

Example...

1234-56789 becomes 56789

Pete_UK

How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole colu

If your number is in A2, try this in a blank column:

=LEFT(A2,5)

which will return the values as text - if you want them as numbers, try
this:

=VALUE(LEFT(A2,5))

Copy the formula down for as many rows as you have data in column A.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Toppers" wrote:

Insert column to right of the column containing your data

Data==Text-to-Columns=Delimited=Other ..enter "-" (no quotes) then Finish.

Delete redundant data i.e one containing the 4 digits.

HTH

"RISXRAY" wrote:

Example...

1234-56789 becomes 56789

Pete_UK

How can I remove 4 of 9 numbers from a cell for the whole colu

Sorry, you would need to use RIGHT rather than LEFT, but as you have
found another way to do it, it's irrelevant.

Pete

"Toppers" wrote:

Insert column to right of the column containing your data

Data==Text-to-Columns=Delimited=Other ..enter "-" (no quotes) then Finish.

Delete redundant data i.e one containing the 4 digits.

HTH

"RISXRAY" wrote:

Example...

1234-56789 becomes 56789