-   -   Colored dropdown list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/109693-colored-dropdown-list.html)

Lynn. Rickards

Colored dropdown list

I'm looking to construct a dropdown with values, say, 'hot', 'warm',
'cool'
where each of those options have individually colored background. When
selected, the color in the cell or widget background should stick'.

Can this be done please?

Thanks - Lynn.

RagDyeR

Colored dropdown list

Can easily be accomplished using a combination of "Conditional Formatting"
and "Data Validation" in the same cell.

Check out the Help files.
--

HTH,

RD

"Lynn. Rickards" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking to construct a dropdown with values, say, 'hot', 'warm',
'cool'
where each of those options have individually colored background. When
selected, the color in the cell or widget background should stick'.

Can this be done please?

Thanks - Lynn.

Allllen

Colored dropdown list

Lynn,

RagDyeR is suggesting using Data Validation (allow = list, source =
cold,warm,hot ). You won't get to see the background on the dropdown. I
don't see that there is an easy way to do that.

Once the user has selected from this validation list, RagDyeR is suggestion
using Format Conditional Formatting to set the colours. You want to set it
like this:

1. cell value is ... equal to ... cold , choose FORMAT PATTERN blue
background. Maybe also choose a white font.

Add

2. cell value is ... equal to ... warm, choose FORMAT PATTERN orange
background

Add

3. cell value is ... equal to ... hot, choose FORMAT PATTERN red
background. Choose a white font as well.

HTH

--
Allllen