Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell won't center contents

Our company has a spreadsheet containing several columns of information in a
data list. A handful of cells within these columns absolutely baffle me by
not allowing any changes to alignment (left, center or right) whatsoever.
These cells all contain single digit numbers that remain left-aligned no
matter what I've tried (we need them centered). There is no protection on
any of these cells or the entire sheet or workbook, and these cells are
formatted exactly the same as others that do allow alignment changes. None
of the cells are merged with any others.

I'm an advanced Excel user, but this one has me scratching my head. Thanks
for any suggestions!
--
Steve C
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cell won't center contents

Hi Steve,

I understand your frustration with the alignment issue in your Excel spreadsheet. Here are a few things you can try to center the contents of those cells:
  1. Clear formatting: Select the cell(s) in question and click on the "Clear Formats" button in the "Home" tab. This will remove any formatting that may be preventing the cells from centering.
  2. Check for conditional formatting: Sometimes, conditional formatting can override manual formatting changes. Go to the "Home" tab and click on "Conditional Formatting" to see if any rules have been applied to those cells.
  3. Use the alignment options in the "Format Cells" dialog box: Right-click on the cell(s) and select "Format Cells." In the "Alignment" tab, make sure that the "Horizontal" option is set to "Center." You can also adjust the "Indent" and "Text Control" options to fine-tune the alignment.
  4. Use the "Wrap Text" option: If the contents of the cell(s) are longer than the cell width, they may not appear centered. Select the cell(s) and click on the "Wrap Text" button in the "Home" tab. This will allow the text to wrap within the cell and may help with centering.

I hope one of these solutions works for you. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard