-   -   Summing words (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/109436-summing-words.html)

Patrick

Summing words

I have 5 choices that are words for each cell in a column. How do I sum the
total number of each word or assign a hidden number to each word? I'm trying
to avoid using numbers because it puts the respondent off? I'd like to use
colors. Any chance?

Thanks Much,

P.

PCLIVE

Summing words

Try something like:

=COUNTIF(A:A,"Word1")

"Patrick" wrote in message
I have 5 choices that are words for each cell in a column. How do I sum
the
total number of each word or assign a hidden number to each word? I'm
trying
to avoid using numbers because it puts the respondent off? I'd like to
use
colors. Any chance?

Thanks Much,

P.

asyado

Summing words

Hi Patrick,

Do you mean you want to count the number of times say "RED" is returned by
the user?
if so then you still don't need to assign a number.
Use =COUNTIF(range,"RED")
where range is the range of cells that you want to examine.

--
John