-   -   Avoiding "0" importing blank cells from another Excel file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/109166-avoiding-0-importing-blank-cells-another-excel-file.html)

Jan K-A

Avoiding "0" importing blank cells from another Excel file

When importing data from another Excel spreadsheet, you get a 0 where there
was a blank cell. Can this be avoided?
I tried to use If (B5=0," ",B5) which returns what looks like a blank cell,
but really isn't. This drives statistics insane - sees it as 0 since it
isn't a blank cell in reality.
How can I avoid these problems without going through and physically deleting
each 0? (find 0, replace with won't work since deletes any 0). I have
thousands of data points.

ed

Jan K-A wrote:
When importing data from another Excel spreadsheet, you get a 0 where there
was a blank cell. Can this be avoided?
I tried to use If (B5=0," ",B5) which returns what looks like a blank cell,
but really isn't. This drives statistics insane - sees it as 0 since it
isn't a blank cell in reality.
How can I avoid these problems without going through and physically deleting
each 0? (find 0, replace with won't work since deletes any 0). I have
thousands of data points.

Ty "" instead of " ". Maybe that's not the problem. sorry

ed

mhudsonak

Avoiding "0" importing blank cells from another Excel file

On your original data, try formatting the cells so that they are text....or
at least something other than a number --maybe that would work.

"ed" wrote:

Jan K-A wrote:
When importing data from another Excel spreadsheet, you get a 0 where there
was a blank cell. Can this be avoided?
I tried to use If (B5=0," ",B5) which returns what looks like a blank cell,
but really isn't. This drives statistics insane - sees it as 0 since it
isn't a blank cell in reality.
How can I avoid these problems without going through and physically deleting
each 0? (find 0, replace with won't work since deletes any 0). I have
thousands of data points.

Ty "" instead of " ". Maybe that's not the problem. sorry

ed

Cheryl

Avoiding "0" importing blank cells from another Excel file

Hi Jan,
What about If(B5="","",B5)?
--
Cheryl