-   -   Percent Formula's (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/108369-percent-formulas.html)

Bizman2125

Percent Formula's

I have 1 column. It contains a W or an L in each individual cell down the
column to confirm wins and losses. How do I create a formula in a cell at
the bottom of that column to calculate the percentage of W to the entire
column of W and L?

Thank you,

Stephen

vandenberg p

Percent Formula's

Hello:

One way:
Use the following to compute the perentage of wins, (1-wins would be
percent of losses assuming no ties.)

=COUNTIF(A2:A7,"w")/COUNTA(A2:A7)

Assumes the w/l are in a2:a7 adjust accordingly.

Pieter Vandenberg

Bizman2125 wrote:
: I have 1 column. It contains a W or an L in each individual cell down the
: column to confirm wins and losses. How do I create a formula in a cell at
: the bottom of that column to calculate the percentage of W to the entire
: column of W and L?

: Thank you,

: Stephen

Ron Coderre

Percent Formula's

If you're certain that the cells will either be blank or contain one of "W"
or "L", then try something like this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"W")/COUNTA(A1:A20)
That formula divides the number of cells containing "W" by the number of
non-blank cells.

Otherwise, maybe this? :
=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"W")/SUM(COUNTIF(A1:A20,{"W","L"}))
That formula divides the number of cells containing "W" by the number of
cells containing either "W" or "L".

In either case, format the cell as percent.

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Bizman2125" wrote:

I have 1 column. It contains a W or an L in each individual cell down the
column to confirm wins and losses. How do I create a formula in a cell at
the bottom of that column to calculate the percentage of W to the entire
column of W and L?

Thank you,

Stephen

Nobody