-   -   cell selection appears to be locked (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/107810-cell-selection-appears-locked.html)

Heinz

cell selection appears to be locked

Excel. When I open an exisitng spread sheet, a cell is selected. When I move
the cursor to another cell it selects all the cells I have gone over.
Entering doesn't help.
I can't even get to the tool bar. I have to quit excel to get out of the
spreadsheet.
Thanks.
Steve

Dave Peterson

cell selection appears to be locked

If you see EXT in the statusbar (at the bottom), then hit F8 to turn this off.
This is a toggle to tell excel that you want to Extend the range (or not).

If that's not it, try gently banging on your mouse buttons--including the wheel
mouse button.

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

cell selection appears to be locked

Do you see "EXT" on the status bar?

If so, hit F8 key to get out of extended mode.

If using a wheelie mouse, try tapping the roller up and down a few times.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP