Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Invoice Template

How do I change the currency in Microsoft Excel 2003's Invoice Template. It
automatically shows the total and unit price in $?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 01:03:01 -0700, Excel Invoice Template Currency <Excel
Invoice Template wrote:

How do I change the currency in Microsoft Excel 2003's Invoice Template. It
automatically shows the total and unit price in $?

I started using the Invoice Template in Office 2000. Once I figured out how
to use the database file that the template would write information to, that
was great.

I recently upgraded to Office 2003, only to discover that the Invoice
Template no longer referenced INVDB.XLS. I had already customized the
template before upgrading, so the installer did not update the Invoice
Template. I later located the template on Disk 1 and tried it, but it too
no longer referenced the database.

With some digging and with the help of Microsoft tech support, I finally
tracked down the company that created the original template for Microsoft,
and found out that the template was apparently designed to work
specifically with Office 2000, and that certain functions were no longer
available if the version of Excel was anything OTHER THAN 2000.

I'm waiting for Village Software and Microsoft to resolve between them who
is responsible for supporting the template, and have been told that a
"fixed" template will eventually be available.

To bring this back to your question, I would guess that you won't be able
to modify your copy of the template to change the currency used, but I
could be wrong about that.

If by chance your version of the template still accesses INVDB.XLS, please
let me know! :-)

You'll know if it's working, because every time you save a worksheet
created with the template, there are TWO prompts -- the first one to save
the file, and the second to update INVDB.XLS. If you're getting only one
prompt, then you're in the same boat I am... :-)

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom

I have a copy of the older version of INVOICE.XLT from xl97 along with the
associated INVDB.XLS

I can provide these to you through email if you desire.

Only problem I found was that the INVDB.XLS is expected to be in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library and would not work if in the

default Office11\Library folder at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Library

So...I just created the folder and stuck INVDB.XLS in there.

Now, if I could just get the Invoice Numbering toolbar to open.

I load TMPLTNUM.XLA but the toolbar does not show up anywhere.

BTW....the currency in the 2003 INVOICE.XLT can be changed by formatting a
workbook based on the template then saving that workbook as the new INVOICE
template.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Invoice Template wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:59:36 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Tom

I have a copy of the older version of INVOICE.XLT from xl97 along with the
associated INVDB.XLS

I can provide these to you through email if you desire.

Are you saying that you use this template in Excel 2003 and that it still
prompts the user to save data to INVDB.XLS on closing the workbook?

Only problem I found was that the INVDB.XLS is expected to be in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library and would not work if in the

default Office11\Library folder at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Library

I was able to modify the template using Excel 2000 to specify a different
location for INVDB.XLS. Trouble is, I can't remember now how I did it.

So...I just created the folder and stuck INVDB.XLS in there.

Now, if I could just get the Invoice Numbering toolbar to open.

I load TMPLTNUM.XLA but the toolbar does not show up anywhere.

I've never seen this file in either Excel 2000 or 2003.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Tom

I have a copy of the older version of INVOICE.XLT from xl97 along with the
associated INVDB.XLS

I can provide these to you through email if you desire.

Are you saying that you use this template in Excel 2003 and that it still
prompts the user to save data to INVDB.XLS on closing the workbook?

That is correct.

Only problem I found was that the INVDB.XLS is expected to be in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library and would not work if in the

default Office11\Library folder at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Library

I was able to modify the template using Excel 2000 to specify a different
location for INVDB.XLS. Trouble is, I can't remember now how I did it.

I haven't looked that closely, found it easier to create the folder it wanted.

So...I just created the folder and stuck INVDB.XLS in there.

Now, if I could just get the Invoice Numbering toolbar to open.

I load TMPLTNUM.XLA but the toolbar does not show up anywhere.

I've never seen this file in either Excel 2000 or 2003.

Was provided with Excel 2000 so don't know why you didn't see it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/288118/en-us

Gord

Tom

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Tom

I have a copy of the older version of INVOICE.XLT from xl97 along with the
associated INVDB.XLS

I can provide these to you through email if you desire.

I have sent you an email about this.

Only problem I found was that the INVDB.XLS is expected to be in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library and would not work if in the

default Office11\Library folder at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Library

So...I just created the folder and stuck INVDB.XLS in there.

I think the only way to change the location of INVDB.XLS is to use the
Template Wizard -- which appears to no longer exist for Excel 2003 :-(

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have since managed to change the path to INVDB.XLS.

A sheet named Template Information was xlveryhidden.

I unhid it and changed the path in a cell that is linked to the pathname in F32
of the "Customize your Invoice" sheet.

Gord

wrote:

Tom

I have a copy of the older version of INVOICE.XLT from xl97 along with the
associated INVDB.XLS

I can provide these to you through email if you desire.

I have sent you an email about this.

Only problem I found was that the INVDB.XLS is expected to be in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library and would not work if in the

default Office11\Library folder at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Library

So...I just created the folder and stuck INVDB.XLS in there.

I think the only way to change the location of INVDB.XLS is to use the
Template Wizard -- which appears to no longer exist for Excel 2003 :-(

Tom

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:55:52 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

That should read..........

A sheet named Template Information in INVOICE.XLT was xlveryhidden.

There's a sheet in the template you sent me that says "Customize your
Invoice", which has been there from the beginning and wasn't hidden.

If you're talking about a third sheet in the template -- how exactly did
you access it? I can't seem to find it in the template you sent me.

You also haven't told me how you managed to get the Template Wizard to
install and work in Excel 2003, because as far as I've been able to
determine from my own research, you need the Template Wizard in order to do
things like change the path to INVDB.XLS.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I have since managed to change the path to INVDB.XLS.

A sheet named Template Information was xlveryhidden.

I unhid it and changed the path in a cell that is linked to the pathname in F32
of the "Customize your Invoice" sheet.

Yes. That's the cell in "Customize your Invoice" that I was referring to.
When I attempt to change the value in that cell, I get a warning:

"Template Wizard Database

YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE DATABASE LOCATION FROM THIS CELL. To use a different
database, use the Template Wizard to create it. For more information about
the Template Wizard Database, click Template Help on the Invoice Toolbar.

Continue? Yes No Cancel"

There is no Invoice Toolbar. Never has been.

I still don't know what you're doing there.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom

ALT + F11 to open Visual Basic Editor.

CTRL + r to open Project Explorer.

Select the INVOICE project and expand it.

Expand Modules.

D-click on Module1

Run the macro found there to make Template Information sheet visible. If you
wish to leave it visible, you must re-save the workbook as a Template(*.xlt)

As far as the Template Wizard goes...............download the installation file
which produces a file named WZTEMPLT.XLA

Store that in your Office11\Library folder.

Open Excel and the INVOICE.XLT I sent you.

ToolsAdd-ins. Checkmark at Template Wizard with Data Tracking.

Gord

wrote:

That should read..........

A sheet named Template Information in INVOICE.XLT was xlveryhidden.

There's a sheet in the template you sent me that says "Customize your
Invoice", which has been there from the beginning and wasn't hidden.

If you're talking about a third sheet in the template -- how exactly did
you access it? I can't seem to find it in the template you sent me.

You also haven't told me how you managed to get the Template Wizard to
install and work in Excel 2003, because as far as I've been able to
determine from my own research, you need the Template Wizard in order to do
things like change the path to INVDB.XLS.

Tom

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:46:42 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Tom

ALT + F11 to open Visual Basic Editor.

CTRL + r to open Project Explorer.

Select the INVOICE project and expand it.

Stop here. It's asking for a password.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 08:49:49 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Ignore all that crap and just change the path in Template Information!B3

See my other post to access Template Information sheet.

No can do. It's password-protected -- and I didn't put a password there.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Tom

ALT + F11 to open Visual Basic Editor.

CTRL + r to open Project Explorer.

Select the INVOICE project and expand it.

Expand Modules.

D-click on Module1

Run the macro found there to make Template Information sheet visible. If you
wish to leave it visible, you must re-save the workbook as a Template(*.xlt)

I was able to do this with the template you sent me, but not with the one
I've been using - the one that includes all of my customization. For some
reason, accessing just about any component of the workbook produces a
prompt for a password.

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's because I took the password off the file I sent you.

That's the reason I sent it to you.

If you want to use your own file, enter this password to view the VBA project.

chzdood

Remove the protection if you choose.

Gord

wrote:

Tom

ALT + F11 to open Visual Basic Editor.

CTRL + r to open Project Explorer.

Select the INVOICE project and expand it.

Expand Modules.

D-click on Module1

Run the macro found there to make Template Information sheet visible. If you
wish to leave it visible, you must re-save the workbook as a Template(*.xlt)

I was able to do this with the template you sent me, but not with the one
I've been using - the one that includes all of my customization. For some
reason, accessing just about any component of the workbook produces a
prompt for a password.

Tom

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Now, if I could just get the Invoice Numbering toolbar to open.

I load TMPLTNUM.XLA but the toolbar does not show up anywhere.

I'm working on that myself, but as it has never worked here, I'm not
missing it... :-)

By the way, thank you for your help in solving my problem with INVDB.XLS,
which is now working as it did for me in Excel 2000.

Interestingly enough, at one point in my playing around with the invoice
template, I momentarily had the Template Toolbar displayed, but at the
moment I was so focused on other issues I didn't take note of what I did to
achieve that.

I've put Tmpltnum.xla in the Office11\Library folder, along with
wztemplt.xla, but have not been able to get the template taskbar to appear.
Is that where the numbering feature is controlled??

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The sequential numbering requires the Numbering Toolbar or to be loaded and
visible.

There is also a macro in the INVOICE.XLT module "Macros" named AssignNumbers()

You can run that to assign a unique number so you don't really need the
Numbering Toolbar.

Gord

wrote:

Now, if I could just get the Invoice Numbering toolbar to open.

I load TMPLTNUM.XLA but the toolbar does not show up anywhere.

I'm working on that myself, but as it has never worked here, I'm not
missing it... :-)

By the way, thank you for your help in solving my problem with INVDB.XLS,
which is now working as it did for me in Excel 2000.

Interestingly enough, at one point in my playing around with the invoice
template, I momentarily had the Template Toolbar displayed, but at the
moment I was so focused on other issues I didn't take note of what I did to
achieve that.

I've put Tmpltnum.xla in the Office11\Library folder, along with
wztemplt.xla, but have not been able to get the template taskbar to appear.
Is that where the numbering feature is controlled??

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:28:59 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

The sequential numbering requires the Numbering Toolbar or to be loaded and
visible.

There is also a macro in the INVOICE.XLT module "Macros" named AssignNumbers()

You can run that to assign a unique number so you don't really need the
Numbering Toolbar.

Good stuff. Got it working.

Is there a way to make the AssignNumbers() macro autorun every time I use
the invoice template to create a new worksheet?

File = New = worksheet using INVOICE.XLT

Tom

--
remove .spoo to reply by email
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom
I would just assign it to a button on a Toolbar so's I had control over when an
invoice gets a number.

But if you wish it to be automatic upon opening..........

Call it from a Workbook_Open sub in Thisworkbook module or the Auto_Open sub in
a general module.

Gord