-   -   Count rows and insert number to count them. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/106527-count-rows-insert-number-count-them.html)

Mex

Count rows and insert number to count them.

How do I get excel to automatically count the number of rows with data in
them and insert the row number in a colum. I don't want to count any blank
rows.

Don Guillett

Count rows and insert number to count them.

try

Sub countnonblanks()
lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "a").End(xlUp).Row
br = Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(lr, 1)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Count
MsgBox lr - br

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Mex" wrote in message
How do I get excel to automatically count the number of rows with data in
them and insert the row number in a colum. I don't want to count any blank
rows.

T Kirtley

Count rows and insert number to count them.

The COUNT() function should do that, so if you want cell B1 to show a count
of the rows with data in column A use a formula like: =COUNT(A:A) in cell B1.

HTH,

TK

"Mex" wrote:

How do I get excel to automatically count the number of rows with data in
them and insert the row number in a colum. I don't want to count any blank
rows.

Mex

Count rows and insert number to count them.

Sorry Don but I'm new at this. Do you mean that I need to type this all in as
one formula?
thx

"Mex" wrote in message
How do I get excel to automatically count the number of rows with data in
them and insert the row number in a colum. I don't want to count any blank
rows.

Don Guillett

Count rows and insert number to count them.

This is a macro. You would have to copy paste into a module and execute
using f8 or assign to a button. In your case it might be better to use the
formula suggested.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Mex" wrote in message
How do I get excel to automatically count the number of rows with data
in
them and insert the row number in a colum. I don't want to count any
blank
rows.

RagDyeR

Count rows and insert number to count them.

It *should* be noted that the Count() function *only* counts numbers.

Since the OP only mentioned "data", it might be appropriate to cite that
fact, and to also suggest the CountA() function, which counts *all* types of
data ... literally counting *non-empty* cells.

=COUNTA(A:A)

RD

"Mex" wrote:

How do I get excel to automatically count the number of rows with data in
them and insert the row number in a colum. I don't want to count any
blank
rows.

Mex

Count rows and insert number to count them.

Thanks for your help Don. n I was able to find an easier formula from an
earlier posting. Here is the link
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/usertips/tip035.htm