-   -   Problem opening Excel files from Windows Explorer (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/10642-problem-opening-excel-files-windows-explorer.html)

aj

Problem opening Excel files from Windows Explorer

Hi All,

When I go to open up and Excel file from Windows Explorer by
double-clicking it, a 1 is added to the filename. If I open the same
file from within Excel itself there is no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

Rob van Gelder

From Windows Explorer's Tools menu | Folder Options | File Types
Scroll to find XLS | Advanced
Select Open then Edit

Application used (for me running XL2003) is:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

"aj" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

When I go to open up and Excel file from Windows Explorer by
double-clicking it, a 1 is added to the filename. If I open the same
file from within Excel itself there is no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

Gord Dibben

aj

This kind of thing can happen when you double click on the f*ile in windows
explorer.

From an earlier post from Dave Peterson that may help:

It sounds like the default behavior when you double click on* a .xls file is
set to NEW, not OPEN.

Try a test to verify:

Right click on the file when you're in windows explorer.

You should get a popup with a bunch of options. I get Open *and New right at
the top of the list. Open is bolded which means that Open is th*e default
action when I double click on the file.

If your default action is NEW, then windows will tell excel *to open it like a
template. That's why you'd get the myname1 (with no extensi*on).

If your situation matches, this is what I'd do next (the eas*iest, I think).

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver then
Windows Start Button|Run excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows regis*try to excel's
factory defaults.

Now you could check by rightclicking again. If it looks good, try double
clicking and see if it really worked!

==========
Option 2. (A little more work.)

I use windows98, so depending on your version of windows, it* might not be
quite the same--but it'll be pretty close.

Close excel
open Windows explorer (flying windows-E is a quick way)
View|Folder Options|File Types
Scroll down to Microsoft Excel Worksheet and select that
Click the Edit button
You'll see a list of Actions in a little box.
Open should be the bold one (here, too!)

If it's not, then click on Open and then click the "make def*ault" button.

(Ok your way out.)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP