-   -   Excel formla (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/106287-excel-formla.html)

Forgetfulpgk

Excel formla

What is the formula for counting the number of cells containing ANY
text?

Bob Phillips

Excel formla

=COUNTA(A1:A20)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Forgetfulpgk" wrote in message
What is the formula for counting the number of cells containing ANY
text?

RagDyeR

Excel formla

Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of "text".

COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors (#DIV/0!),
logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).

To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")

RD

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
=COUNTA(A1:A20)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Forgetfulpgk" wrote in message
What is the formula for counting the number of cells containing ANY
text?

Bob Phillips

Excel formla

I agree, but isn't it always. I picked up specifically on the ANY.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of

"text".

COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors (#DIV/0!),
logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).

To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")

RD

-

-
"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
=COUNTA(A1:A20)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Forgetfulpgk" wrote in message
What is the formula for counting the number of cells containing ANY
text?

RagDyeR

Excel formla

And, as is normal around here, we'll never know without the OP's response
.... but ... it does enliven the thread *and* enlighten the archives.<bg

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of

"text".

COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors (#DIV/0!),
logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).

To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")

RD

-

-
"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
=COUNTA(A1:A20)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Forgetfulpgk" wrote in message
What is the formula for counting the number of cells containing ANY
text?

Bob Phillips

Excel formla

I agree, that is why there is no reason to assume a 'correct' response is
the final response (even if the OP says it is <G).

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Interpretation is questionable here concerning the exact meaning of

"text".

COUNTA() counts *non-empty* cells ... including numbers, errors

(#DIV/0!),
logical values (TRUE, FALSE) and zero length strings ( "" ).

To count *only* text ... including alpha and numeric *text*, try this:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"*?")

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-