-   -   Disabling "wrap text" neuters alt-return line feeds within cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/106183-disabling-wrap-text-neuters-alt-return-line-feeds-within-cell.html)

[email protected]

Disabling "wrap text" neuters alt-return line feeds within cell

Hello,

The online help for Microsoft Excel 2003 says to disable wrap-text in
order not to have wrapping of long lines within cells. However, doing
this also turns line feeds into non-line-feed characters (some kind of
strange symbol serving as a place-holder for the linefeed). I only
want to disable wrapping of long lines, I don't want to remove the
effect of hard coded line feeds. How is this done in Excel? (If it
can't be done, that would also be helpful to know). Thanks.

Dave Peterson

Disabling "wrap text" neuters alt-return line feeds within cell

If you have wraptext enabled, then you'll get a new line within the cell for
each alt-enter. And excel will break any line that's too long whereever it
wants.

If you turn off wraptext, then the alt-enters will appear as little squares.

But there isn't a middle ground.

--

Dave Peterson

[email protected]

Dave Peterson wrote:
If you have wraptext enabled, then you'll get a new line within the cell for
each alt-enter. And excel will break any line that's too long whereever it
wants.

If you turn off wraptext, then the alt-enters will appear as little squares.

But there isn't a middle ground.

Thanks, Dave.

Fred