-   -   How do I get a cell reference into this formula... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/106005-how-do-i-get-cell-reference-into-formula.html)

PhillyRon

How do I get a cell reference into this formula...

Hi guys--

I have an Excel database with a 3-cell address field that I need to parse
into other cells. Here is what I have so far:

=IF((MOD(ROW(),3))=0, E(ROW()-2), " ")

What I want to do is, every 3 rows (say I'm in row190) to put the contents
of E187 in the current cell. The "mod" part is working OK, but how do you
construct the "E187" cell reference? So far, no luck.

Pete_UK

How do I get a cell reference into this formula...

Try using INDIRECT, such as:

=IF((MOD(ROW(),3))=0, INDIRECT("E"&(ROW()-2)), " ")

Hope this helps.

Pete

PhillyRon wrote:
Hi guys--

I have an Excel database with a 3-cell address field that I need to parse
into other cells. Here is what I have so far:

=IF((MOD(ROW(),3))=0, E(ROW()-2), " ")

What I want to do is, every 3 rows (say I'm in row190) to put the contents
of E187 in the current cell. The "mod" part is working OK, but how do you
construct the "E187" cell reference? So far, no luck.

Toppers

How do I get a cell reference into this formula...

TRY:

=IF((MOD(ROW(),3))=0,INDIRECT("E"&ROW()-2)," ")

HTH

"PhillyRon" wrote:

Hi guys--

I have an Excel database with a 3-cell address field that I need to parse
into other cells. Here is what I have so far:

=IF((MOD(ROW(),3))=0, E(ROW()-2), " ")

What I want to do is, every 3 rows (say I'm in row190) to put the contents
of E187 in the current cell. The "mod" part is working OK, but how do you
construct the "E187" cell reference? So far, no luck.

PhillyRon

How do I get a cell reference into this formula...

Thanks, HTH; that's the ticket.

PhillyRon

"Toppers" wrote:

TRY:

=IF((MOD(ROW(),3))=0,INDIRECT("E"&ROW()-2)," ")

HTH