-   -   VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/105670-vba-stop-xl-adding-path-sring-sheet-sheet-links.html)

[email protected]

VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links

2003

Even though I select "Do not Update" every time I Open certain files, the Sheet-to-Sheet references
within the workbook, now show the links with the path add to the sheet reference.

Of course, this causes Memory and File size issues.

Also, how can one remove the path so as to not cause reference problems?

I would prefer a VBA-type answer because there are thousands of references to remove the path
information.

Thanks,

EagleOne

Dave Peterson

VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links

I've never seen a formula that refers to another worksheet within the same
workbook include the full path.

If you do update links, what do the formulas show?

What's the full name of the workbook--including path?

What's one of the offending formulas?

--

Dave Peterson

[email protected]

VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links

Dave,

I know what is coming next. (I'm seeing things! User Error!)

Actually, at work this did occur today. That said, at home, same file, different computer, I can
not find the same thing occurring here?

Tomorrow ....

Thanks

wrote:

2003

Even though I select "Do not Update" every time I Open certain files, the Sheet-to-Sheet references
within the workbook, now show the links with the path add to the sheet reference.

Of course, this causes Memory and File size issues.

Also, how can one remove the path so as to not cause reference problems?

I would prefer a VBA-type answer because there are thousands of references to remove the path
information.

Thanks,

EagleOne

Dave Peterson

VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links

What is this "User Error" that you speak of?

I've never seen this, ahem, with any of my work, ahem!

wrote:

2003

Even though I select "Do not Update" every time I Open certain files, the Sheet-to-Sheet references
within the workbook, now show the links with the path add to the sheet reference.

Of course, this causes Memory and File size issues.

Also, how can one remove the path so as to not cause reference problems?

I would prefer a VBA-type answer because there are thousands of references to remove the path
information.

Thanks,

EagleOne

--

Dave Peterson

EagleOne

VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links

Dave,

How the mind works!

About a year ago you helped me finish a procedure that permitted me to
take a text file generated by the PrintDir.bat file (unsupported MS
tool) and import/process it into XL. Again thank you!

OK. I used it yesterday. It captures the path and filename of files
which I need to evaluate.

Well, I remembered the long path names as the files are on a large
network.

My mind "Unioned" the ranges of PrinDir-Excel and lists of link
information used by each XL file via another VBA process.

All this to defend the ills of the mind's "Unioning"

Thanks Dave

wrote:

2003

Even though I select "Do not Update" every time I Open certain files, the Sheet-to-Sheet references
within the workbook, now show the links with the path add to the sheet reference.

Of course, this causes Memory and File size issues.

Also, how can one remove the path so as to not cause reference problems?

I would prefer a VBA-type answer because there are thousands of references to remove the path
information.

Thanks,

EagleOne

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

VBA to stop XL from adding the Path Sring to Sheet-to-Sheet Links

Glad you found the solution--in the depths of that union <vbg.