-   -   Importing .txt data files increases .xls file size (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/10555-importing-txt-data-files-increases-xls-file-size.html)

BrianJ

Importing .txt data files increases .xls file size

Am importing contact data from our Sales Management Software System into an
Excel sheet. The Export process from the SMS system stores the data in a .txt
file. Currently we only have about 1000 records, and the .txt file is about
87kb. When I import into Excel through the Import Wizard it adds 500k to the
..xls file size. Now when I split up the data into two alpha groups (A-M; N-Z)
it doubles THAT size. Two questions:
1. Is there some way to not increase the file size (maybe during import?)
2. Is there a way to interact with the data from a separate worksheet
altogether?

-b

Dave Peterson

First thing I'd check is to see where excel sees last used cell.

Hit ctrl-end. If that's way far away from what you expected....

You could reset it by using techniques at Debra Dalgleish's site:

Do you add lots of formulas to the imported data?

--

Dave Peterson