-   -   What is a helper column? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/10479-what-helper-column.html)

RMPPOD

What is a helper column?

I cannot find any information concerning a "helper Column" in the help files.
Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to find and use this
"helper column?

Thanks,

Bob Phillips

It's not an Excel term, it is more generalised than that.

In essence, it means using a column to store some intermediate results
(using a formula say), that can make further

--

HTH

RP

"RMPPOD" wrote in message
I cannot find any information concerning a "helper Column" in the help

files.
Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to find and use

this
"helper column?

Thanks,

Bob Phillips

Sorry, hit the button too soon.

It's not an Excel term, it is more generalised than that.

In essence, it means using a column to store some intermediate results
(using a formula say), that can help simplify further formulas. For
instance, if you have a complex formula that repeats a certain test, put
that test in the helper column, and refer to that in the main formula,
making it more readable and maintainable.

--

HTH

RP

"RMPPOD" wrote in message
I cannot find any information concerning a "helper Column" in the help

files.
Could someone point me in the right direction as to how to find and use

this
"helper column?

Thanks,

a helper column can also be use to do a non-standard sort
by putting numbers or other in the helper column then
sorting by the helper colunm. I use this to sort by color

.