-   -   Reducing the number of digits in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/104228-reducing-number-digits-cell.html)

Borge14

Reducing the number of digits in a cell

Hi,

Is there a way of automatically reducing the number of digits in a
cell?

I have a spreadsheet containing 16,000 zip/postcodes. I need to remove
the last two digits in each postcode. Is this possible?

Any help that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
George

--
Borge14
Borge14's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37324

Gazeta

Reducing the number of digits in a cell

Użytkownik "Borge14"
napisał w wiadomości

Is there a way of automatically reducing the number of digits in a
cell?

I have a spreadsheet containing 16,000 zip/postcodes. I need to remove
the last two digits in each postcode. Is this possible?

Any help that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
George

=LEFT(A1;LEN(A1)-2)
works for zipcode in a1
mcg

Borge14

Reducing the number of digits in a cell

Cheers.

Although for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. Can I email you
the document so you can take a look and see why that may be?

--
Borge14
Borge14's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37324
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570270

starguy

Reducing the number of digits in a cell

use comma instead of semi colon, formula should be like this

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2)

starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

napisał w wiadomości

Cheers.

Although for some reason it doesn't seem to be working. Can I email you
the document so you can take a look and see why that may be?

--
Borge14
Borge14's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570270

sure
mcg

Borge14

Reducing the number of digits in a cell

That works perfectly. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

--
Borge14
Borge14's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=37324
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570270

CLR

Reducing the number of digits in a cell

Be aware tho, that if your original number has a space between it's main
characters and the last two you wish to eliminate, the formula as given will
leave the space still there........this mod will also delete the space......

=LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-3)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3