-   -   How can I retrieve a deleted excel file? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/102793-how-can-i-retrieve-deleted-excel-file.html)

jenmun13

How can I retrieve a deleted excel file?

I deleted my date column from my working version & instead of selecting "save
as", I hit "save", therefore losing my data. How can I retrieve the
previously saved version? Please help!

thanks,
Jen

Dave Peterson

How can I retrieve a deleted excel file?

Do you have a backup copy?

Can you talk to your IT staff to see if they've made backups?

Did you send it someone else--maybe they can send it back or it might be in your
Sent Folder?

--

Dave Peterson

jenmun13

How can I retrieve a deleted excel file?

silly me. of course not. it's just a working copy on my hard drive that gets
replaced by each day's updates.

....and we don't have an IT dept. i just heard there was a way to retrieve a
deleted file (such as a temporary folder or cache ?)

oh well. starting today... two words: backup copy!

thanks!
jen

jenmun13 wrote:

I deleted my date column from my working version & instead of selecting "save
as", I hit "save", therefore losing my data. How can I retrieve the
previously saved version? Please help!

thanks,
Jen

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

How can I retrieve a deleted excel file?

If you deleted a file, there could be a copy in the Recycle bin--depending on
how you did it.

But if you saved over the file, the backup responsibility is yours.

When I'm doing this kind of thing, I'll do:
file|Open
select the file
and use the dropdown arrow on the Open button and choose Open ReadOnly.

Or do my File|SaveAs as the first step--before any changes. If I overwrite the
file, at least it hasn't been changed (yet).