-   -   Can TRUE/FALSE be replaced by a formula? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/102599-can-true-false-replaced-formula.html)

BCB

Can TRUE/FALSE be replaced by a formula?

Hi

I was wondering if, given that the conditions (for a "1" or "TRUE") are
in place, say: A3B3, wouldn't it be possible for Excel to return the
difference between A3 and B3 ("A3-B3"), for instance, or any other
cells' additions or subtractions for that matter?
It gets worse: instead of piling these returns in a column beside the A
and B columns, would it be possible to sum these conditional additions
in a single cell on top?

Hope someone knows the tricks and can help
Thanks in advance
bcb

--
BCB
BCB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34101

nastech

Can TRUE/FALSE be replaced by a formula?

should be fairly easy, but not sure if have all info need?:

=IF(A3B3,A3-B3,"")

"BCB" wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if, given that the conditions (for a "1" or "TRUE") are
in place, say: A3B3, wouldn't it be possible for Excel to return the
difference between A3 and B3 ("A3-B3"), for instance, or any other
cells' additions or subtractions for that matter?
It gets worse: instead of piling these returns in a column beside the A
and B columns, would it be possible to sum these conditional additions
in a single cell on top?

Hope someone knows the tricks and can help
Thanks in advance
bcb

--
BCB
BCB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567321

Bondi

BCB wrote:
Hi

I was wondering if, given that the conditions (for a "1" or "TRUE") are
in place, say: A3B3, wouldn't it be possible for Excel to return the
difference between A3 and B3 ("A3-B3"), for instance, or any other
cells' additions or subtractions for that matter?
It gets worse: instead of piling these returns in a column beside the A
and B columns, would it be possible to sum these conditional additions
in a single cell on top?

Hope someone knows the tricks and can help
Thanks in advance
bcb

--
BCB
BCB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=34101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567321

Hi BCB,

If I understand you correct then I belive you can use something like
the SUMPRODUCT()

Maybe something along the lines of:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10B1:B10),A1:A10+B1:B10)

With your data in A1:A10 and B1:B10

The first argument will do the comparisson and the second the addition
(substraction if you put in - )

Regards,
Bondi

Bob Phillips

Can TRUE/FALSE be replaced by a formula?

If I understand, try

=SUM(IF(A1:A10B1:B10,A1:A10-B1:B10))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"BCB" wrote in message

Hi

I was wondering if, given that the conditions (for a "1" or "TRUE") are
in place, say: A3B3, wouldn't it be possible for Excel to return the
difference between A3 and B3 ("A3-B3"), for instance, or any other
cells' additions or subtractions for that matter?
It gets worse: instead of piling these returns in a column beside the A
and B columns, would it be possible to sum these conditional additions
in a single cell on top?

Hope someone knows the tricks and can help
Thanks in advance
bcb

--
BCB
BCB's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567321

BCB

Can TRUE/FALSE be replaced by a formula?

Thank you all

Will try them out, and hopefully tweak them to fit my other needs, or
eventually return with more specific questions.
Thanks
bcb