-   -   How do I pull just the numeric characters in a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/102547-how-do-i-pull-just-numeric-characters-cell.html)

punter

How do I pull just the numeric characters in a cell?

Hi,

I have some cells that I want to pull just the numeric value so I can
do a Vlookup off the number. Example: 12345678DM. In the cell next
to it I would like to pull just the number while leaving the DM off. I
can't always promise that the amount of numbers will be 8 so I can't
just do a =left(A1,8) or something. Any ideas?

Thanks as always,

Eddie

--
punter

punter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2044
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567213

RagDyeR

How do I pull just the numeric characters in a cell?

Try this:

=--LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2)

--
HTH,

RD

"punter" wrote in
message ...

Hi,

I have some cells that I want to pull just the numeric value so I can
do a Vlookup off the number. Example: 12345678DM. In the cell next
to it I would like to pull just the number while leaving the DM off. I
can't always promise that the amount of numbers will be 8 so I can't
just do a =left(A1,8) or something. Any ideas?

Thanks as always,

Eddie

--
punter

punter's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567213

ImpulseBlue

How do I pull just the numeric characters in a cell?

you can still do the left if you know that there will always be 2
letters at the end:
=LEFT(F5,LEN(F5)-2)

Hope that helps

punter wrote:
Hi,

I have some cells that I want to pull just the numeric value so I can
do a Vlookup off the number. Example: 12345678DM. In the cell next
to it I would like to pull just the number while leaving the DM off. I
can't always promise that the amount of numbers will be 8 so I can't
just do a =left(A1,8) or something. Any ideas?

Thanks as always,

Eddie

--
punter

punter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2044
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567213

oldchippy

punter Wrote:
Hi,

I have some cells that I want to pull just the numeric value so I can
do a Vlookup off the number. Example: 12345678DM. In the cell next
to it I would like to pull just the number while leaving the DM off. I
can't always promise that the amount of numbers will be 8 so I can't
just do a =left(A1,8) or something. Any ideas?

Thanks as always,

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Try something like this,

=LEFT(A1,FIND("DM",A1)-1)*1

oldchippy :)

--
oldchippy
oldchippy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19907
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=567213

punter

How do I pull just the numeric characters in a cell?

Thanks everyone. They all work. You are the greatest.

Eddie.