Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to substitute a comma with a newline char using Replace.

I am trying to replace all commas with a newline character. What do I put in
the Replace field?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hold down <Alt,
And type
0010
Using the numbers on the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
keys.
--

HTH,

RD

"edspyhill01" wrote in message
I am trying to replace all commas with a newline character. What do I put
in
the Replace field?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Or use ctrl-j

RagDyeR wrote:

Hold down <Alt,
And type
0010
Using the numbers on the Num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
keys.
--

HTH,

RD

"edspyhill01" wrote in message
I am trying to replace all commas with a newline character. What do I put
in
the Replace field?

--

Dave Peterson

Neither solution worked. I'm using the "Find and Replace" menu under Edit
-- Replace. I have several fields in one cell separated by commas. I would
like to substitute a new line character for each comma to create a short list
in each cell.

Example:

From:
user707@unix-mail, deliverable, mailer, ether, host, unix-mail.<domain,
user, user707@unix-mail.<domain

To:
user707@unix-mail
deliverable
mailer
ether
host
unix-mail.<domain
user
user707@unix-mail.<domain

Thank you,

Ed S.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You followed these steps?

Selected a cell or cells.

EditReplace

What: enter a comma,

With: Hold the ALT key and type 0010(on numpad) or Dave's CTRL + j

Replace all.

Format the cell(s) to Wrap Text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:58:01 -0700, edspyhill01
wrote:

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Or use ctrl-j

From:
user707@unix-mail, deliverable, mailer, ether, host, unix-mail.<domain,
user, user707@unix-mail.<domain

To:
user707@unix-mail
deliverable
mailer
ether
host
unix-mail.<domain
user
user707@unix-mail.<domain

Thank you,

Ed S.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You *did* say that you wanted this list to be in a *single* cell ... didn't
you?

If so, both suggestions will work "as advertised"!

After selecting your data, enter a comma in the "Find What" box,
And then in the "Replace With" box,
Follow Dave's (<Ctrl <J) suggestion or mine (<Alt 0010).

Worked with the data you posted here.

RD
-------------------
-------------------

"edspyhill01" wrote in message

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Or use ctrl-j

From:
user707@unix-mail, deliverable, mailer, ether, host, unix-mail.<domain,
user, user707@unix-mail.<domain

To:
user707@unix-mail
deliverable
mailer
ether
host
unix-mail.<domain
user
user707@unix-mail.<domain

Thank you,

Ed S.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It works. Must have been my sequence of selecting the cells and/or text.
Ctrl-J works the best, giving me one new line per comma. The Alt-0010 gives
me multiple new lines per comma but that is probably my error.

Thank you to all for the speedy help. This will save me hours of drudgery
formating test results for about 100,000 email aliases for pre and post
change comparisons from two SMTP servers.

Ed S.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ctrl-j and alt-0010 (from the number key pad--not above the QWERTY keys) are
equivalent and will give the same results.

I just find ctrl-j easier to explain (and use).

edspyhill01 wrote:

It works. Must have been my sequence of selecting the cells and/or text.
Ctrl-J works the best, giving me one new line per comma. The Alt-0010 gives
me multiple new lines per comma but that is probably my error.

Thank you to all for the speedy help. This will save me hours of drudgery
formating test results for about 100,000 email aliases for pre and post
change comparisons from two SMTP servers.

Ed S.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"edspyhill01" wrote:

It works. Must have been my sequence of selecting the cells and/or text.
Ctrl-J works the best, giving me one new line per comma. The Alt-0010 gives
me multiple new lines per comma but that is probably my error.

Thank you to all for the speedy help. This will save me hours of drudgery
formating test results for about 100,000 email aliases for pre and post
change comparisons from two SMTP servers.

Ed S.

Figured out the multiple new lines. DOH! The last text typed into the
Replace field stays pre-loaded when recalled, but, not seeing the new line on
a retry, I would add another one.

Both solutions work perfect.

Thanks again,

Ed S.