-   -   How do I use a variable in a cell reference? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/10180-how-do-i-use-variable-cell-reference.html)

BraveFencerPawson

How do I use a variable in a cell reference?

I'm trying to reference a cell using other cells, for example: B(60-A30),
which is to mean reference the cell in the Bth column, and the (60-A30)th
row. How do I do this in Excel 2000?

Rwenglermn

I think you can use a command called Indirect.
eg if you had "B1" written in cell A1 you could do the following:
=indirect(A1) and it would retrieve the contense of cell B1

You can also use concatenate formulas within the indirect to construct a
cell refrence from two cells.

eg if Cell C1 contained the number 3
=indirect(concatenate("A",C1)) would retrieve the contense of Cell A3

or you can combine two other cells to create a new reference