-   -   Space after Mid Function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/101639-space-after-mid-function.html)

David

Space after Mid Function

I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function, so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

Chip Pearson

Space after Mid Function

David,

The MID function doesn't insert a space. Examine your cells very
carefully to see if there is a space where you aren't seeing it.
This would be a situation in which my CellView addin would be
helpful.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/cellview.htm

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"David" wrote in message
I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for
another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid
function, so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are
the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test,
copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

Bob Phillips

Space after Mid Function

Try

=MID(Trim(F1),5,30)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"David" wrote in message
I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function,

so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

Stefi

Space after Mid Function

Hi David,

You don't tell us the content of F1 that definitely affect hte result of
MID. Nevertheless =TRIM(MID(F1,5,30)) will remove the extra space.

Regards,
Stefi

€žDavid€ť ezt Ă*rta:

I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function, so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

bpeltzer

Space after Mid Function

MID won't tack on a space, but if the 34th character of the string in F1 is a
space, then that will be the final character returned by the MID function
with the arguments you gave it. Either take one less character,
=mid(f1,5,29), or use the TRIM function to remove leading and trailing
spaces, =trim(mid(f1,5,30))

"David" wrote:

I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function, so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

WillR

Space after Mid Function

Are you sure you're not just grabbing an extra char...

try

=MID(F1,5,29)
--
Kind Regards,
Will Riley

"David" wrote:

I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function, so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

David

Space after Mid Function

Simple as that Bob...thank you very much!!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Try

=MID(Trim(F1),5,30)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"David" wrote in message
I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function,

so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

David

Space after Mid Function

Thanks to all for the very prompt and solution filled responses!!

"David" wrote:

I am using mid and then concatenate to get the text I need for another
workbook. However, there is a space being inserted from the mid function, so
that when I use concatenate, an extra space appears. Here are the two
functions, they are in side by side columns.
=MID(F1,5,30) 'this is producing a space at the end. To test, copy the
result and paste special values.
=CONCATENATE(G1,"-",C1) is in the next column.
This is the result I get after using both:
Austin -TX 'The space is before the -

Thanks...this one I just can't figure!

Harald Staff

Space after Mid Function

Nice one, Chip! I haven't seen that addin before now. Clever idea, useful
result.

Best wishes Harald

"Chip Pearson" skrev i melding