-   -   maximum number of characters within a forumla? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/101429-maximum-number-characters-within-forumla.html)

B G

maximum number of characters within a forumla?

I have a formula that I keep getting an error on - is there a maximum number
of characters allowed in a formula. It keeps highlighting "IF" and won't
allow me to complete the formula.
--
Barb

Bill Ridgeway

maximum number of characters within a forumla?

I've found that the complexity of the formula (number of arguments and
nesting) that is more limiting than the number of characters.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"B G" wrote in message
I have a formula that I keep getting an error on - is there a maximum
number
of characters allowed in a formula. It keeps highlighting "IF" and won't
allow me to complete the formula.
--
Barb

Gord Dibben

maximum number of characters within a forumla?

Could be either of two limits.

1. 1024 character limit for formulas.

2. 7 nested "IF",s in a formula.

See Help on "limits and specifications" for other parameters.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP