-   -   point assignment (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/100452-point-assignment.html)

Blah

point assignment

I have 200 rows of students and 5 columns of assignments with letter
answers in each one. I want to give one point if the student answered
in at least one assignment and zero if they did not...any formula which
could do this?

Elkar

point assignment

So, if the student did not answer in an assignment, then would the cell be
blank? If so, then the COUNTA function might work for you:

=COUNTA(B2:F2)

This would count the number of non-blank cells in the range B2 through F2.

=IF(COUNTA(B2:F2)0,1,0)

This returns a 1 if any cell in the range contains a value, and a 0 if no
values are present.

HTH,
Elkar

"Blah" wrote:

I have 200 rows of students and 5 columns of assignments with letter
answers in each one. I want to give one point if the student answered
in at least one assignment and zero if they did not...any formula which
could do this?

Mallycat

point assignment

in cell G2, enter =if(count(B2:F2)0,1,0)

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514

RagDyeR

point assignment

You *did* say "letter answers", so ...

Assume name in Column A,
B to F for assignments.

In Column G, try this:

=--(COUNTIF(B1:F1,"*?")0)

--
HTH,

RD

"Blah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 200 rows of students and 5 columns of assignments with letter
answers in each one. I want to give one point if the student answered
in at least one assignment and zero if they did not...any formula which
could do this?

RagDyeR

point assignment

Have you tried this with "letter" answers?

RD

"Mallycat" wrote in
message ...