-   -   Percentage Discount (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/100276-percentage-discount.html)

Ruth

Percentage Discount

Dealer Cost column has a list of dealer prices. Sale Price is the reduced
dealer cost. I need a column that shows the percentage of discount from
Dealer Cost to Sale Price when the price is entered in Sale Price column.
Sometimes I would like to enter the percentage of discount and calculate the
Sale Price. Any ideas of a fairly simple way to do this so that the printout
is understandable to clients? Thank you very much.

Fred Smith

Percentage Discount

Discount = (DealerCost - SalePrice) / DealerCost

SalePrice = DealerCost * (1 - %Discount)

Fred

"Ruth" wrote in message
Dealer Cost column has a list of dealer prices. Sale Price is the reduced
dealer cost. I need a column that shows the percentage of discount from
Dealer Cost to Sale Price when the price is entered in Sale Price column.
Sometimes I would like to enter the percentage of discount and calculate the
Sale Price. Any ideas of a fairly simple way to do this so that the printout
is understandable to clients? Thank you very much.

tim m

Percentage Discount

If your Dealer cost was in column A you could put this formula in column B
for the Sale price: =100-(C2*A2)
and this formula in column C for the % Discount: =1-(B2/A2)

You could then copy those formulas down. If you enter a number in the %
discoutn it should give you the Sale price. If you enter a number in the
sale price it should give you the discount.

(Of course once you type in a number it will overwrite the formula in that
cell so you could do one or ther other not both. You'd also have to format
the % column as %)

"Ruth" wrote:

Dealer Cost column has a list of dealer prices. Sale Price is the reduced
dealer cost. I need a column that shows the percentage of discount from
Dealer Cost to Sale Price when the price is entered in Sale Price column.
Sometimes I would like to enter the percentage of discount and calculate the
Sale Price. Any ideas of a fairly simple way to do this so that the printout
is understandable to clients? Thank you very much.

Ruth

Percentage Discount

Fred and Tim, thank you for your replies. They were very helpful.