-   -   How to find the minimum value in a database with multiple values . (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/10026-how-find-minimum-value-database-multiple-values.html)

billybob1

How to find the minimum value in a database with multiple values .

I am trying to find the earliest transaction date for a program participant
with multiple records relating to each participant. For example in a list of
transactions participants are identified by their SSN, there are many
transactions by each participant with the date of each transaction recorded.
I want to find the earliest transaction date by each participant without
sorting the database.

Peo Sjoblom

One way

=MIN(IF(B3:B300="a",A3:A300))

dates in A3:A300 (need to be real excel dates thus numeric), participants in
B3:B300 and the above formula will find the earliest date for participant "a"

needs to be entered with ctrl + shift & enter

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"billybob1" wrote:

I am trying to find the earliest transaction date for a program participant
with multiple records relating to each participant. For example in a list of
transactions participants are identified by their SSN, there are many
transactions by each participant with the date of each transaction recorded.
I want to find the earliest transaction date by each participant without
sorting the database.

Myrna Larson

Assuming the transaction is list in A2:B500, with SSN's in A and dates in B,
and you create a list of the unique participants in D2:D30, in E2 type this
formula

=MIN(IF($A$2:$A$500=D2,$B$2:$B$500))

You must press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter this as an array formula. Copy it
down through E30.