-   -   Multi-user access to Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/100197-multi-user-access-excel.html)

Bob

Multi-user access to Excel

As far as I know, when using Excel in a network environment, only one person
can edit a single spreadsheet at a time (while others can simultaneously read
it). Yesterday, someone on a conference call said that there WAS a way to
have multiple users edit a single spreadsheet at a time, but they did not
provide any details as to how to do it. Does anyone know if that's true?
Does SharePoint provide that capability?

Any help in resolving this debate once and for all would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Harald Staff

Multi-user access to Excel

Hi Bob

It's in the Tools menu; Share Workbook. It is not like a "live environment"
where you see your collegues' actions in real time, the merging is done on
save and close as far as I know.

Hopefully someone can answer for Sharepoint. Our IT department won't buy it
or let anyone (except perhaps themselves) play with it.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Bob" skrev i melding
As far as I know, when using Excel in a network environment, only one

person
can edit a single spreadsheet at a time (while others can simultaneously

read
it). Yesterday, someone on a conference call said that there WAS a way to
have multiple users edit a single spreadsheet at a time, but they did not
provide any details as to how to do it. Does anyone know if that's true?
Does SharePoint provide that capability?

Any help in resolving this debate once and for all would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob

Multi-user access to Excel

Harald,
Thanks for the info! I never thought to look on the Tools menu.
Regards, Bob

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Menus Tools and Data is where the real Excel goodies are hidden ;-)
Thanks for the feedback.

Best wishes Harald

"Bob" skrev i melding