-   -   Ignoring characters in excel sheets when creating a chart (https://www.excelbanter.com/charts-charting-excel/92-ignoring-characters-excel-sheets-when-creating-chart.html)

smintey

Ignoring characters in excel sheets when creating a chart

I have a table of data in which every cell has the suffix "mm" in it. How can
I create a chart with this data and get excel to ignore the letters. I
thought it would do it automatically but it doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas gratefully recieved!!!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Barb Reinhardt

I'd create another column for the values with MM in them. I'm assuming
that mm is at the end of each with this example.

=MID(A1,1,LEN(A1)-2)

This will have an error if the length is 2 or less or MM is not the last two
characters.

"smintey" wrote in message
I have a table of data in which every cell has the suffix "mm" in it. How

can
I create a chart with this data and get excel to ignore the letters. I
thought it would do it automatically but it doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas gratefully recieved!!!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Jon Peltier

Steve -

Get rid of the spurious characters. Use a custom number format like 0" mm" or
0.00" mm" which shows the number with the suffix but doesn't make the suffix part of
the value of the cell.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP